It's too soon

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I lost my dear husband yesterday. He had advanced prostate cancer which was in his bones and lymph nodes. His last review showed the hormone therapy treatment had stopped working. He had a scan on Monday and another yesterday. I dropped him at the hospital entrance at 8.15 and they rang me at 9 to say he had collapsed in the corridor. They found him within minutes but his heart wasn't beating when they found him. They had a crash cart and worked on him for 45 but couldn't save him. His leg had swollen terribly and he'd been tested for a dvt which was negative and I keep thinking I should have pushed harder for his leg to be checked, even though he saw his GP and had a consultation with his oncologist. I haven't heard from the coroner yet but can't stop thinking If only ...'. The doctor said they reviewed his notes and Monday's scan showed the cancer was everywhere. I can only be glad he didn't know that and that he won't now need to suffer. It's just such a shock as I thought we'd have more time.

• Hello Nellie.  I am so sorry that you had to lose your husband and especially sorry that you couldn't be there with him, but you will be glad that he has avoided all the suffering that goes with the later stages of this awful disease.

My husband died almost two years ago and, although the grief is less raw now, it still seems like yesterday.  I miss him every day but I am now able to think more about the good times than the bad.  He had Cancer of the kidney and had several operations.  He managed to survive for six years, most of which we were able to enjoy together.  The Cancer finally travelled to his spine and he spent most of his last year paralysed from the chest down.  He didn't complain, just got on with sourcing an electric wheelchair and now and then I would drop him off at an agreed meeting point where he would meet with old friends and gossip.  Although looking after him was really hard work, he made it so much easier by smiling a lot and cracking jokes with carers.  He was so brave and considerate, even when in terrible pain, right to the end.  

Maybe when Covid and grief permits, some of us widows/widowers could get together and help one another carry on with life.

Barbara

• Dear Nellie,

I am so sorry you find yourself amongst us. Cancer is a very cruel disease and my most fervent prayer is that we find a way to eradicate it completely so other men and women, families, children, parents, never have to grieve the unnecessary death of someone they love.

It's hard not to get lost in the "if onlys." It's been nearly three years for me and I still question things I did and what I could have done differently. I think the thing to remember is that cancer is basically immune from anything. And I know our spouses/partners knew how much we loved them until the last moment. Please be kind to yourself. Grief is damned hard and it takes its time coming and going. I still have days when I want to crawl away and die. But I have to remember that I'm still alive and while my life may feel like nothing more than an existence at times, I am still here and because I remember my husband with such a living, breathing love, I feel that he is still with me. Cancer took away his physical self, but his spirit, his joy, his laughter remains in my memories and heart. That is what we must all hold onto and cherish.

You will find some days challenging and you will feel a crushing sadness at times you least expect it. But, as time goes by, the sadness will be replaced with the happy memories and you may find yourself smiling or laughing when you least expect it, too. (And when you do feel happy, don't feel guilty about it. That's another weird thing I've found about grief. As if my not being sad is dishonouring my late husband. It's a weird paradox!)

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.