Still on that rollercoaster

• 13 replies
  • 28 subscribers

So today it’s 250 days since I lost my lovely Chris, the worst 250 days of my life. The overwhelming sadness that never ever leaves, even on the days which are less bad than others. I know outwardly it looks as though I’m coping but really it feels more like functioning- I get up, showered, dressed, eat regular meals- do the stuff I need to do but I still shed tears every day when something sets me off. It can be something unexpected that just hits me or the final locking up and switching everything off as I go to bed. I HATE that time of day. 

I’ve struggled a bit the last couple of weeks. I had times when I was sure I could hear him moving around the house and I almost expected him to walk back in the room, give me a hug and tell me that it was all over and had just been a very bad dream. And another day, I just relived the day of his funeral- not all of it but certain parts of the day. I also found myself sobbing in the garden. I’m not a natural gardener by any stretch of the imagination but Chris was. The garden was a labour of love, his pride and joy and much admired. I’m trying my best to keep it looking as good as I can. But I was standing in the garden trying to decide where to plant some things I’d bought to fill the gaps, the robin appeared on the fence and that was it. I just cried because I didn’t know what to do and he would have known. 

I’m also aware that I’m approaching the one year on from the start of the nightmare. Chris got his original diagnosis at the end of July. I’ve always had a thing about dates (it’s my dad’s fault), I rarely forget a birthday or anniversary. So I know that the weeks from the end of July through to October are going to be hard and this fills me with dread too. So you can expect more of my ramblings in the weeks ahead. 

So I’ve wittered on again, but like others have said, writing it down and sharing is helpful to me. I know there are people out there who understand in a way that no one else really can. This is a rollercoaster ride and I was never that keen on rollercoasters. Thank you for being there.

Take care and sending hugs

Jane

xx

• Oh Jane I do understand your words and feelings.

I have always been the gardener in our house but my beloved was always around tidying after me, moving things and making a cuppa(or opening a bottle of wine).   Yesterday I noticed the first peas have grown - I don’t enjoy peas but he loved them so I’ve grown them for him. Silly eh? Maybe I can give you a bit of advice sometime - about gardening that is! 

I know what you mean about functioning. I wake up and then feed  and walk our very old dog before making a coffee and creeping back into bed. I spend ages telling myself to get a grip but also asking myself why I should bother. 

Our diagnosis of terminal cancer was three years and one month before my beloved died. Of course then bloody COVID came along and despite the horrors of that it gave us eleven months where we were alone. My biggest problem now is knowing how to find my place in the world again. 

I’m sure we will be ok one day but for now I can’t see the end of this tunnel I’m stuck in. I send you my love, best wishes and gentle hugs. We can do this Jane.

June xx

• Thank you June for such kind words 

xx

• You’re welcome Jane. I’m always around if you need to chat. June x

• Hi Jane

I don't have any words of wisdom but just want to say that I totally know how you feel.

Its just over 6 months since I list John and every morning I wake up with a heavy heart and such sadness. Some days are such an effort and all the time there is this huge aching emptiness inside.

I relive times when he was ill over and over, torturing myself I know, hopefully that will get easier with time.

So sending you a huge hug and to let you know that you aren't alone. 

Sarah xx

• Hi Jane,

I am so sorry you have been struggling more the last couple of weeks. I do think it may have something to do with the one year anniversary you are approaching. Around that time I, and I think many of us here, have felt particularly low. I can understand how there are days that are a little better and then the smallest thing can set you off. And I also understand how some days are just really bad. I think it is wonderful that you are finding this group here a lifeline, somewhere you can turn where you know people will understand and care. I am sending you a big virtual hug. Maybe you would like to come to our meeting on Tuesday?

Lots of love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Mel, I’ll definitely be joining you on Tuesday. It’s in my diary. Thank you too for your wise and comforting words

Much love

Jane

xx

• Thank you Sarah. That’s what makes this group so valuable- others just get it. 
    Sending hugs

Jane

xx

• Hi Jane, 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been feeling a little low of late and I do hope you’re feeling a little better now.

The first paragraph you wrote perfectly describes my situation too and it also summarises my typical day, the only thing that differs is the number of days since our loved ones both passed.

I’m also obsessed with dates which as you know isn’t always a good trait to have as theres always an anniversary of some description that has happened during their treatment or illness just around the corner.

You’re so right about this journey being like a rollercoaster where we’re up and then down like a “Big Dipper” and like you I always hated them too.

I send you hugs and I do hope this journey settles down for us all one day and we all find peace.

Take care Ian and PS I hope you’re enjoying your granddaughter xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jane, it has just been 4 months since I lost my wife to cancer & the heavy pain of loss never goes. I do know where you are coming from and have been through many emotions daily from extreme anger and sadness to being lost & unsure of what to do. I went crazy for a while doing lots of DIY but then found out after around 3 months that I was throwing myself into things which were taking up all my time and I was not taking the time to try and process what had happened to myself and family due to me losing my wife. A terrible thing to contemplate going forwards in life on your own after losing your soulmate even having family around. I have now slowed everything down but will still keep myself occupied to a lesser degree. I had 36 years with my wife and know have to go forwards with her in my heart and I know that I will always miss her. Take care Jane and chin up, not easy trying to process and work through such personal tragedy and I hope that you do have friends and family to help. I am only now allowing friends back into my life and I have noticed that my anger at losing my wife has become less intense since talking over my loss and grief. I know it’s not easy as I continue to struggle myself but good luck and take care. Dave

• Thank you Ian for your reassuring reply. The end of this month starts the one year on bit of our journey but my wonderful boys are supporting me as best they can, remembering that they’ve lost their dad too. But we can get through this together- battered and bruised but knowing that we’ve done it. 
    Definitely enjoying my granddaughter, if remotely- my younger son and daughter-in-law live in the States so technology is my saviour for keeping in touch. I’ll be first at the airport just as soon as the US are accepting UK travellers!

Hope you’re doing okay or as okay as is possible 

Thank you again, sending hugs

Jane

xx