Dreading husband’s funeral in two weeks’ time

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

My husband of 40 years died on May  4th. His funeral is on 3rd June. He had mesothelioma and was diagnosed last Summer. He had been in Pilgrims Hospice, Canterbury for three weeks and Highfield Care Home for two weeks before dying there. He had been suffering for the last three or four months and it was a release for him. With the help of my sons and his sisters we have arranged a funeral and wake but I’m scared that I will break down in tears and be unable to make my speech on the day.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi duty 

I am sorry for your loss this is a lovely group who all understand I spoke about my hubby at the funeral I did cry but that was ok took my time it was ot easy but I did have a back up plan for someone to step in this took the pressure off I just had it in my head I was just talking to my hubby I don’t even remember seeing anyone else there x just do what is right for you on the day xx big hugs Sarah x

• I’m sorry for your loss. I was worried I wouldn’t cope delivering my eulogy but I really wanted to do it and did it yesterday. The funeral director told me to take my time and take deep breaths which I did. If you have to pause, do. I had back up prepared but I did do it because I was desperate to meet that last challenge and do what he would have wanted. But, if it’s too much you can still write the words but have someone you trust deliver them. There isn’t a right or wrong thing to do. Be kind and fair to yourself x