New beginnings

• 3 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I haven't been very present lately. I have never really been I suppose, even though I have been reading a lot when my wife passed in August, age 38, after a year of battling lung cancer. This forum has provided me an immense support and I want to thank you for this.

But that's not what it is about. Losing my wife after 20 years together felt like the end of my world. I tried to focus on the good times we've had and the family we've built and feeling grateful for all those experiences allowed me to make my peace. It hasn't been a straight journey and I know that the next down moment could be right at the next corner, but I've felt ok most of the days and the only result is that I've felt like I was 94 and that my whole wonderful life was behind me (I'm 41).

Last month, a friend introduced me to someone she knew. I wasn't sure if it was a setup and I wasn't up for it. But without warning, I have found someone amazing and a real connection that none of us expected. I don't know what this is and where this is going, but I'm floating above the ground right now, while being utterly confused about everything.

My message is just that you might not believe it, and it might not happen, but there could be happiness back in your life when you least expect it. Slight smile

• Hi Devin,

This is truly an amazing post. Thank you so much for sharing. And I really do wish you all the happy

I feel your message is so important because of course it is true that noone knows what's around the corner and, just because right now most of us don't feel like we could ever find happiness again, it can happen, even when we least expect it.

Personally, I have noticed a shift in me over the last three years. In the beginning I couldn't imagine ever meeting a special person ever again, and I remember when once a friend suggested to me that because I was still so young I could meet somebody again I was so angry at her for saying that - what a horrible suggestion! But, over time, I began to feel different. I still cannot imagine how I could possibly fall in love with another person, but my almost 39 years in this life have taught me that the only thing that is certain in life is that nothing is certain, so who am I to know whether or not I will fall in love again?

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi 

No you don't know what is around the corner. A year ago, I would not have considered risking falling for anyone else. It hurts too much when they go! 

But.. after first meeting a special someone 35+ years ago at the end of my training, I have found that he is well suited to me. We have fun, a laugh and just get on. And he cares for me. I am spoilt with his love and care. I would never have believed it but it is nice to feel comfortable and young again! 

Good luck to you Devlin, enjoy yourself. Life is for living. I now live for the moment.

Take care

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• Hi Devin

so pleased that you have found some happiness, I hope it goes well for you

all the best x