Six months on....

• 15 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Well it’s exactly six months since I lost my lovely and loving Chris- 182 days of being without the one person who’s been by my side since 1974, when I was just 19. I’d like to say the pain has got less but it hasn’t- it never goes away but I think I’m starting to cope with it- I cry less during the day, most days but the night times are still horrendous, there’s no other word for it. I know that outwardly I’m functioning - I get up, showered and dressed, I eat regular meals and do the things I need to do to get by. Do I get any pleasure out of things? Hell no! I have friends who are beyond kind and thoughtful- they admit that they have no idea what I’m going through but they are there for me. My stepmum, two sons and my daughter in law are all there too. My step mum was a similar age to me when my dad died, so she can remember what it was like. My boys are grieving for their dad too but still supporting me as best they can- and they’re doing pretty well. Other family members- my brother and Chris’ siblings are to be honest a waste of space- that did hurt but now just annoys me. Chris was the eldest of five and at some point every one of his four siblings needed rescuing by him and he did it without complaining. But obviously they feel that now he’s gone they don’t need to keep in touch with me and the boys. 

How has today been? Well I’ve had a team of gardeners tackling a job in the garden that we’d talked about having done before Chris had his diagnosis. So I’ve put a brave face on, managed to talk to them and not had a meltdown until after they’d gone. But how do I feel- numb, sad, lost, heartbroken, lonely.....the list goes on.

Coming out of lockdown still fills me with a mixture of dread and that overwhelming sadness again. I’m going to have to get used to doing things without him by my side. It’s not that we went everywhere together but since retiring we used to pop out most days somewhere, even if it was to the local garden centre for a quick coffee. 

Chris would be quite exasperated that I still shed tears but I don’t think he realised just what a huge gap he was going to leave in my life, how much I needed him to be there just to make things feel right. 
I’m sorry for rambling here, but there’s nowhere else where I know people will understand what I’m going through. I know we all grieve in different ways and have different ways of coping with this, but we get it. 

Sending you all virtual hugs and strength 

Jane

xx

• Hello Jane,

I can totally empathise with you, I lost my  lovely husband last August , like you I was 19 when we meet and were married 47 years this year, and the pain is still horrendous,  I to get through the day , but it's going through the motions,  because I have to , it's what my husband would have wanted,  and for our amazing close family,  it's them who keep me going despite their own pain.

It will be my husbands birthday this month, his birthday last year was spent at the Macmillan centre in London having chemo,  I was with him and mentioned to a nurse it was his birthday and before we left about six nurses gathered round and sung happy birthday to him, it brought tears to my eyes, this year I shall go to the cemetery and bring flowers and remember him as I do every day and feel the pain and sadness.  

I guess it will always be hard for us, but hopefully in time we'll find peace,  we carry them in our hearts forever  wherever we go.  

Take care xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Jane,

I’m not very good at writing posts so please forgive me.  I get everything you say, no matter how kind or supportive family and friends are, they just can’t fill the void left by our love ones passing.   Nothing can.   My wife was everything to me, we did almost everything together so close we where.

Please keep rambling, this site really helps me I ramble on here myself Grinning

Take care 

Peter x

• Hello

This is my first post. I also empathise with you.

My Dave died 4 months ago from Prostate cancer, he was given a 7 year prognosis but died 13 months from diagnosis. We had been together since I was 16, my first and only love.

I was about to leave work and join hIm in his retirement, we made so many plans; during his first chemo we made  a long list of countries and places to explore but between COVID and rapidly spreading cancer we never managed to cross anywhere off the list.

Reading the messages on this site has helped me to know that I’m not alone in feeling so bereft, desperately sad and utterly heartbroken and that others understand what I’m going through. I can’t bear the thought of a future without him in it but am trying to take one day at a time despite the constant pain of trying to grasp that I won’t see him again.

It is good to know that others understand, I think it feels less lonely.

Thanks and take care. X

• Hi Jane,

I do fully understand what you’re saying and I also feel your pain.

I have said this before but I’ll say it again.....what I’d give for a magic wand and I had one wish, and it would be for us all on this forum to have our besties back with us, as the pain is simply unbearable at times and as you say......is life fun without our soulmates, “Hell no”.

But I know Chris would want for you to have a life thats worth living again and we have honour our soulmates wishes and I’m hoping one day we turn a corner and we may just want to live life again, and this is my wish now as I know the first wish won’t come true, but I’m hoping that this one may just come true. 

You’ve done so well to have the gardeners in today and to have your garden transformed as you and Chris would have wanted it, thats a big step and I’m proud of you Clap.

I can also empathise with your comment about; “Chris being quite exasperated that you still shed tears”. My bestie would be so annoyed with me being in tears every day, but you know what, this part of the journey isn’t about them anymore its about how we feel and how sad we are that they’re no longer here to share our lives with them, and if we want to cry then they’ll just have to look down from heaven at us and shake their heads in a disapproving fashion, as this is how we’re both dealing with the loss of our two besties.

I hope you’re Six month milestone has been manageable for you and I do hope we all find peace one day, I send you a virtual hug Hugging as you need a special one today.

Take care Ian xx

• Good morning Jane and everyone,

Just want to say I am here and reading your lovely posts.

Jane and everyone we are doing ok, whatever that might be and doing the best we can in this horrendous situation. Well done Jane with the garden, feels like a good achievement on the 6 month anniversary.

I continue to struggle, tomorrow I should receive the out come of the PALS enquiry, but have resigned myself to a letter saying they need extension. I know it will change nothing it won't bring him back. Maybe I want to hear them say Rob and I did the best we could, to keep him alive, because I believe I should of done more, asked more, shouted louder.

So the order of the day will be keeping busy and like many of you on with the perious gardens which our other halves would love to be doing . 

Sending strength to everyone of you.

Love

Donna

• Hello Strawberry Fields,

I am so sorry for the loss of your lovely Dave.

My husband died in May of 2018, almost three years ago, from prostate cancer too. We only had 9 years together, the most wonderful years of my life, and during all that time he had the cancer but it was well under control until, in 2017, it spread to his liver and it was Chemo for 10 months before he was admitted to hospital with a number of infections and died within a short period of time.

Even three years on, or almost three years, I miss him terribly and can't believe at times that I will never ever see and hold him or be held by him again, never hear his voice, never make silly jokes, never talk about life's problems... It is heart-breaking.

Love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi everyone on this thread,

Before I'll begin with my work for today, I thought I would send you all this quick post and say that I am thinking of you all and that I am reading most posts on here and that it is lovely to be a part of such a lovely, understanding, kind group of people.

Lots of all to all of you

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hello all who’ve responded to this thread. Just thank you. There is so much comfort, sadly, in people who just understand. I really wish that none of us were in this situation but your kind words and sharing of thoughts help make a dreadful situation slightly less dreadful.

Take care, be kind to yourselves

Sending hugs, as always

Jane

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jane sending you big hugs 
    I so get the things you are saying x I just think it’s like being in a movie I am watching no enjoyment but prob try to show others I am doing ok    
    as for family my sister and her family left during our cancer journey i am dreading visiting places and doing things we did together and it’s not the big days out they normal ones grabbing a coffee breakfast out just a walk xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ChilliChilli

Hi chillichilli 

I hope you have some answers been thinking about you xx