Feeling Unsettled

• 22 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Good morning everyone,

I haven't turned to you all for support in a long time but this morning I feel I need to because I am feeling very unsettled and vulnerable.

Where do I start?

Well, perhaps with the fact that it will be three years for me in May and, for the first two and a half years, I didn't dream of Paul at all except for once in the very beginning. I guess my subconscious didn't let me dream of Paul because it knew that it would be way too painful for me.

Then, a couple of months ago, I had the first dream. We were in the car driving somewhere. I couldn't hear his voice very clearly but I knew in the dream that it was Paul.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I had this dream where we were lying in bed, hugging like we used to, and I asked him had it been a difficult experience to die and had he wanted me to be closer to him to which he replied that everything had been okay and that he would not have wanted me any closer to him - not climb into bed with him - because he had already begun his own personal journey of leaving this life then and it would have perhaps held him back if I had been so close. In that dream I could actually feel Paul lying in my arms, I stroked his hair and knew without a shadow of a doubt that it was his hair I was stroking, this dream felt really real. It didn't upset me, though. It surprised me.

Then, last night, I had a dream, one of those that felt like it was going on for the whole night, in which I knew that Paul had gone to India for three months and that we had separated before he had left and tomorrow he would come back and it broke my heart to think that we would no longer be together and that perhaps he was already happy in his new life. When I woke up I was so very sad.

And even though I got up, had my shower, drank two cups of coffee, did my morning meditation and put my Console essential oil (do TERRA's oil blend for grief and bereavement) over my heart chakra I am still feeling sad and unsettled and very vulnerable.

And, to my surprise, the thoughts of our last days have come back to me this morning too, the thoughts of our last day at home, the thoughts of our last night in hospital, the memories of what was said and done... I haven't had this in a very long time.

Paul and I were separated twice during our relationship - once for a couple of months in 2011 and again in 2013 - and I kind of remember saying to people back then, "You know, it is so heart-breaking to think that Paul and I will live our separate lives from now on. If he was dead, then I would know that no matter how much we were suited for each other we couldn't be together ever again because he would be gone. But now that he is still alive but decided to no longer be together it is much harder." I don't know how back then I could think that it was much harder. Well, I suppose I can understand what I meant because I knew that Paul and I belonged together and so it felt like we were wasting time by not being together or something like that. But I had to think of this this morning because this is exactly what it felt like in my dream about Paul having gone to India: it felt so heart-breakingly sad that he had moved on into a new life without me.

Isn't all of that interesting?

I also think that perhaps I am quite unsettled at the moment and don't really let it show or admit it even to myself. As I have posted here before, I came over to Germany to be with my parents during COVID-19. That was last March. Nobody knew - or we didn't want to think - that COVID-19 would go on for this long. I remember leaving Ireland and thinking that I would be back by June at the latest. Well, one year later I am still here. I wanted to go back a couple of times but there never seemed to be a good time because there was either a

lockdown here in Germany or at home in Ireland and one thing I said right from the start was: I won't go back into a hard lockdown because being on my own for weeks on end I really don't know how I would cope with that, especially after having been here with my family for a while. So, anyway, I am still as determined as ever that I will go back. But I don't know when. And I feel that the longer I have been away from home the harder it will be for me to go back. Also, I lost my therapy practice room last autumn because the people I had rented it from needed the room for themselves. So I don't know where I would work and believe that for the first couple of weeks, if not months, I would have to work from home which I am dreading and online with my clients as I have done for the last number of months anyway.

I am aware that, when I eventually go back, it will be so hard for me because not only will I have to get used to living alone again and in the house that Paul and I once shared, but I will also have to look for a new therapy practice.

I think at the moment I am afraid of what the future holds and, as so many times before but particularly in the very early stages of my bereavement, I feel that I don't want this future without Paul.

But, and I know this from experience of the past almost three years, these feelings will pass, as feelings always do.

It's freezing here this morning but very sunny and I will go for a walk now. Let's see how I feel after that and I have no doubt that some of you lovely people here will send me some nice words.

Lots of love and thank you for reading,

Mel.

• Thank you, Jane. That's the only thing I can do right now. Feeling a little better today. I hope you are okay. And, yes, you have helped me a lot; talking it through is so important.

Love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Thank you so much for your message, Mope. I think today is as okay for you as can be under the circumstances. Yes looking to the future when we know our loved one will not be in it is really difficult. In my experience, we can do it more and more with time passing but, as you can see from my posts on here these last couple of days, there can always be days even then where it feels like we are close to the beginning again and where the future is just too sad to contemplate.

Love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hello MyPineapple,

You know, it wasn't until I read and re-read your message on here that I thought that yes perhaps the fact that I am approaching the third anniversary is partly responsible for how I have been feeling. It's strange isn't it? But I think you are right: What makes me feel unsettled is that I don't know when to go back, that I don't know what I am going back to, and that the third anniversary is approaching.I think I will just have to wait and see what happens, living day by day rather than thinking too far ahead.

Love

Mel

• Hi Ian,

Thank you for telling me what you think about whether or not to return home now, and I think you are right and my mind is made up, through all the messages here of which none of them is saying "If I were you I'd go home now" and so I will stay here and enjoy the time with my parents and brother who recently returned from work abroad during the winter season. And, yes, perhaps I will find a much better therapy room once I am back in Ireland or even before hand if I can get a friend or two to maybe look at a few places that are advertised for me.

I think you are right. I know what I want. But it hurts so much to not have Paul with me anymore and to know that I never will again.

I hope you are as okay as can be under the circumstances.

Love

Mel

• Hi Forever Autumn,

Thank you so much for your kind message. I think your advice is really good, even though I think to wait until COVID is gone would mean having to wait for a very long time... But now is not the right time to go back, definitely not.

Your dream of the gentle kiss sounds lovely.

I am glad you can feel comfort when you imagine his arm around you. That's lovely.

Love

Mel

• Hi Limbo,

Thank you so much for your message. It is such a very kind and very helpful one.

But before I go into why it has been so helpful, I want to comment on your dream and just say thank you so much for sharing that with me and with all of us on here. What a deeply touching dream and experience.

Like you, I think that your feeling unwell the following night and being sick the following morning had to do with the dream and your therapy work. Reliving the final work of our loved one's life is so so painful.

Again, thank you so much for sharing.

As for why I have found your message so particularly helpful, you say that you live in a new country now - Where do you live? - and you told me how you got your future landlord to look at the car you were going to buy and you suggested that I may be able to find someone who would be able to look at therapy places before I go back. I think this is such a brilliant idea. If I go on the internet and look at possible places, and if I get a riend to check them out for me, then perhaps I could make my return to Ireland a lot easier for myself. As you say, I should make it as easy as possible for myself as it will be a huge transition to go through after this whole year or even more.

Again, Limbo, thank you so so very much.

Love

Mel

• Hi everyone on this thread,

Thank you all so so very much for being on this thread and for telling me what you think. It is helping me so much. I have decided to not try and figure it out any longer - when to go back I mean - but to live in the moment. I will definitely not revisit all the thoughts about when to return for another while.

For now I will keep doing what I am doing: working with my clients on Zoom, working on my website, doing my transcription and podcast work, and spending time with my parents - something that is really really precious given that we all are not getting any younger. I am sitting here with a gin and tonich and not feeling too bad. Still a little bit vulnerable and shaken or something like that but better for talking it through with you all.

Love and hugs to you all

Mel

before the middle of this month by which time Ireland will have decided whether or not to prolong the level 5 lockdown. I would not go back while Ireland is still in level 5 because level 5 means not to be able to move  and by which time it should be clear whether Germany will go on the risk country list or not, something which influnces my decision somewhat because, as it stands, people arriving into Ireland from a risk country have to quaranteene in a hotel for two weeks and this is something I can neither afford nor want to do as my home is in Ireland and it wouldn't take me that long to get home from the airport. I am not going home as long as level 5 is still on because that way , to do what I do

• First of all, cheers. It's too early for me to have  a glass of wine but I'll be thinking of you when I do.I'm gald you've come to a decision and it seems a very good one. 

I live in French Guiana now. Gilles was French. As I'm an English teacher and I didn't particularly want to go back and live in France without Gilles (just couldn't imagine it), but needed to stay in the system, I grabbed this opportunity I got. It's lonely but being in a different place helps.

• Hi Mel, 

I do wish I could make the pain go away for you, me and all of these lovely souls but sadly we have to go through this much pain because we loved our soulmates so much and now this is the price we have to pay, but I’d go through it a thousand times over for my beautiful wife as you would for your loving husband Paul, and I agree with you that the worst bit is knowing you’ll never see them again, but its my belief that we will all be reunited with our soulmates one day x

I know we all struggle every single day to come to terms with our loss, but having these lovely souls on this site to help us through the worst times really does help and I thank god we have each other to be honest, as we support each other at our lowest points. 

I hope you and all of us find peace one day, Ian x

• Hi Ian and everyone on here,

Thank you so much for your very kind words.

I am feeling a lot better now because I have decided that for now I will stay where I am and that I am actually in the right place too as my dad was recently diagnosed with Parkinsons and I think it is good to be supporting my parents during this difficult time.

I miss home, the countryside, the climate, the people, my friends, my work life - well, I couldn't have a normal work life at the moment as face-to-face appointments are still not possible. And I have actually found out that that is the hardest thing for me: to imagine myself sitting at home a lot and not having my work to go out to. I am much better off here for now where I do a lot of online work with clients but where I don't have to be on my own when I don't want to.

Love

Mel