Feeling Unsettled

• 22 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Good morning everyone,

I haven't turned to you all for support in a long time but this morning I feel I need to because I am feeling very unsettled and vulnerable.

Where do I start?

Well, perhaps with the fact that it will be three years for me in May and, for the first two and a half years, I didn't dream of Paul at all except for once in the very beginning. I guess my subconscious didn't let me dream of Paul because it knew that it would be way too painful for me.

Then, a couple of months ago, I had the first dream. We were in the car driving somewhere. I couldn't hear his voice very clearly but I knew in the dream that it was Paul.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I had this dream where we were lying in bed, hugging like we used to, and I asked him had it been a difficult experience to die and had he wanted me to be closer to him to which he replied that everything had been okay and that he would not have wanted me any closer to him - not climb into bed with him - because he had already begun his own personal journey of leaving this life then and it would have perhaps held him back if I had been so close. In that dream I could actually feel Paul lying in my arms, I stroked his hair and knew without a shadow of a doubt that it was his hair I was stroking, this dream felt really real. It didn't upset me, though. It surprised me.

Then, last night, I had a dream, one of those that felt like it was going on for the whole night, in which I knew that Paul had gone to India for three months and that we had separated before he had left and tomorrow he would come back and it broke my heart to think that we would no longer be together and that perhaps he was already happy in his new life. When I woke up I was so very sad.

And even though I got up, had my shower, drank two cups of coffee, did my morning meditation and put my Console essential oil (do TERRA's oil blend for grief and bereavement) over my heart chakra I am still feeling sad and unsettled and very vulnerable.

And, to my surprise, the thoughts of our last days have come back to me this morning too, the thoughts of our last day at home, the thoughts of our last night in hospital, the memories of what was said and done... I haven't had this in a very long time.

Paul and I were separated twice during our relationship - once for a couple of months in 2011 and again in 2013 - and I kind of remember saying to people back then, "You know, it is so heart-breaking to think that Paul and I will live our separate lives from now on. If he was dead, then I would know that no matter how much we were suited for each other we couldn't be together ever again because he would be gone. But now that he is still alive but decided to no longer be together it is much harder." I don't know how back then I could think that it was much harder. Well, I suppose I can understand what I meant because I knew that Paul and I belonged together and so it felt like we were wasting time by not being together or something like that. But I had to think of this this morning because this is exactly what it felt like in my dream about Paul having gone to India: it felt so heart-breakingly sad that he had moved on into a new life without me.

Isn't all of that interesting?

I also think that perhaps I am quite unsettled at the moment and don't really let it show or admit it even to myself. As I have posted here before, I came over to Germany to be with my parents during COVID-19. That was last March. Nobody knew - or we didn't want to think - that COVID-19 would go on for this long. I remember leaving Ireland and thinking that I would be back by June at the latest. Well, one year later I am still here. I wanted to go back a couple of times but there never seemed to be a good time because there was either a

lockdown here in Germany or at home in Ireland and one thing I said right from the start was: I won't go back into a hard lockdown because being on my own for weeks on end I really don't know how I would cope with that, especially after having been here with my family for a while. So, anyway, I am still as determined as ever that I will go back. But I don't know when. And I feel that the longer I have been away from home the harder it will be for me to go back. Also, I lost my therapy practice room last autumn because the people I had rented it from needed the room for themselves. So I don't know where I would work and believe that for the first couple of weeks, if not months, I would have to work from home which I am dreading and online with my clients as I have done for the last number of months anyway.

I am aware that, when I eventually go back, it will be so hard for me because not only will I have to get used to living alone again and in the house that Paul and I once shared, but I will also have to look for a new therapy practice.

I think at the moment I am afraid of what the future holds and, as so many times before but particularly in the very early stages of my bereavement, I feel that I don't want this future without Paul.

But, and I know this from experience of the past almost three years, these feelings will pass, as feelings always do.

It's freezing here this morning but very sunny and I will go for a walk now. Let's see how I feel after that and I have no doubt that some of you lovely people here will send me some nice words.

Lots of love and thank you for reading,

Mel.

• Mel. I can only say I’m thinking of you and  wish you well. I used to say to my beloved that I wasn’t afraid of how I’d cope alone because I knew I would. I just don’t want to and I really don’t want to just cope with life. He’s been gone long enough now and I want him to come home. Impossible I know but for now - just six weeks and five days since he left - I’m staying home with my little dog and grieving.much love. June x

• Oh Mel

i don’t know what to say that might help you but I hope that you find some peace from a chilly walk in the sunshine. I do share your anxiety about what the future holds. I know that outwardly I can cope, after a fashion. I don’t like it but I can. But it’s the other things that leave me feeling bereft, sad and usually sobbing. Chris was the practical one in our long relationship- and I know he worried about how I’d  manage with all those jobs, big and small that he did to make our lives run as smoothly as it did, most of the time. But I don’t think he ever understood the other things that he did that made me feel so special and cherished and those are the bits that no one can replace or bring back. And that’s when I recognise that a life without Chris is just going to be so very hard. 

I haven’t dreamt about Chris- I’m not a big dreamer and my dreams are usually unpleasant so in some ways I’m relieved about that. But I have woken up thinking he’s here with me- a brief moment of delight before the awful reality dawns yet again. 

Regarding returning to your home in Ireland, under normal circumstances I’d have taken the view that you get a gut feeling about when the time would be right but with all that you’ve got going on, I’m not sure that is helpful. There’s just too much out there at the moment for me to trust my gut instinct which to be fair, hasn’t often let me down in the last 66 years. 

I’m fairly sure none of this will help you at all Mel, and for that I apologise from the bottom of my battered heart. But your post made me think and so I ended up just wittering on again.

Take care, be kind to yourself, sending apologies and virtual hugs

Jane

xx

• Oh Jane,

Thank you so much for your post. And, believe me, just talking like we are doing here helps so much. Knowing that you, like most others on here, are afraid of a future without their loved one and especially with all the stuff going on right now is so comforting. Of course I am sorry for your and everybody else's anxiety and unsettled feelings too.

I think it would be fair to say that in our relationship I was the more practical one. So I'm not afraid of not being able to cope, because I know I will where the practical side of things is concerned because I always have, but I am afraid of the emptiness and loneliness I think.

You see, if I went back now, there would be nothing for me to do. The practice would have to be closed due to COVID guidelines; but, even if I could open, I don't currently have premises to work from. So I would spend most of my time alone at home, maybe occasionally meeting a friend, and going for walks on my own. This is not what I want. If I went back now and knew that I have my practice and lots of clients waiting for me, or the job in the hospital I so much wish for, it would be different. I just don't want to go back to the emptiness and pointlessness, if you know what I mean. I mean, before I came here last March, there had been days too when I had been at home for most of the day and it had been okay. But now this would be most days and that's what I can't take.

In a way I feel I have answered my own question about going back: No, at the moment I shouldn't even think about it.

But I am also thinking to myself: Won't it be getting harder and harder the longer I wait?

Love Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hopefully Mel you’ll get a feeling that will tell you when the time is right to go back but until then take care and as I said before, be kind to yourself.

Jane

xx

• Hi Mel, my heart goes out to You,  I'm so scared to look to the future I can't see one, I don't think I want to,  it's such a lonely life nothing stops the pain, sending hugs to you,  take care,  Jay xxx

• Hi Mel & all on this thread. 

Firstly Mel, I’m glad you got your new laptop as it’s easier to use and then we all get these long wonderful sharing messages.

I think we all forget just how hard covid has made life. We are all suffering so badly from our loss that covid seems a blip in comparison but its very very hard. It’s changed us all so much. Some more than others but it’s really messed with all our heads! Even those lucky ones out there not having gone through our traumas and then unimaginable pain, this pandemic has hit hard. It’s even made some of us go through this worse with not being able to visit in hospital, or have a proper funeral. All sorts of things. 

I think Mel maybe you’ve started dreaming about Paul because you’ve got all this emotion about ‘do I go back or not?’ running through your head and it’s bringing all that back up. Coupled with the anniversary not being far away. 

We all say we don’t want to ‘go out there’ anyway if things open up again. Well I know I don’t at 5 weeks since David’s passing but I still want the world to start turning again because it needs to and we all need it too, more than I think we realise. 

Jane, I’m like you, I don’t really dream and if I do they are usually all over the place, no real sense of a story. 
    I also think Jane that Chris would be very proud of you. I think we’ve all got more strength than we realise. 
    I’m crying a lot still every day and today was tough due to something that happened that I might share in a new link ...but I know for sure you wonderful people on here have helped me through these past 5 weeks more than you know. 
    Thank you. 

Peace & strength to all.

xx 

• Hi Mel,

I also think you should stay put for awhile and try and enjoy your time with your parents as I’m sure they’ll be enjoying their time with their daughter, make it quality time that you may never have had with them, so out of adversity you have gotten something positive from it.

You’ll know when is the right time to return home and who knows you may even get a better therapy room than your last one and for less money, please stay positive and I do hope you get things sorted. 

You must maintain your positivity though as you sound like you know exactly what you want in life, even though you’ve had to deal with the sad loss of your best friend and for that I’m truly sorry for your loss. 

The dreams sound intriguing, and like you I have been struggling to dream of my beloved wife and again just like you I have awoken on several occasions startled thinking that she was there in the room with me, and I’ve even tried to speak to her thinking she was still alive then realising she wasn’t which has left me gutted each time it’s happened. I just so want to talk to her again and look at her beautiful face but alas I know that will never happen.

I hope you felt better after your walk and I do hope you find peace as I hope we all will one day, Ian x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Hi Mel

my husband has been gone 9 months now. A few weeks after he had gone I was woken by the most gentlest of kisses on my mouth. It was so real. I truly believe it was my husband.  When I am at my most distraught I feel his arm around me, not physically just the presence. 
    He spent months trying to prepare me for his passing before he got too sick, making sure I could do his spreadsheet for all the household expenses etc. 
    He worried more about me than himself. I told him not to that I would be ok. I still tell him that now when I break down so he does not worry but try to explain that it is hard without him. I do hope he understands and is happy .

As for moving back, your final choice but my opinion is no, do not go yet. Stay with family until we know for sure this awful COVID is really gone. I live in Devon and all the rest of my family live in Wiltshire, not too far but might as well be on the other side of the world with lockdown.  I have not seen anyone accept for the funeral in over a year. As you say, some days on your own are bearable, but everyday really is not. 
    x

• Hello Mel,

Your first dream reminds me of a dream I had just three days before the 2nd anniversary of Gilles' death. In my dream, I had rolled up a sheet in the form of a human body and as I lay next to it, I realized that the eyes were opening and eventually, it turned into Gilles. I was  taken aback, to say the least, and told him, "You're back. Can you come back?"  He replied, "It's difficult but possible." I asked him what it was like being in a coma but he said he couldn't remember. I won't go into the whole dream but later when  we went for walk there was a tree-house and he quickly climbed up into it and I followed. As I had trouble getting in, he said, "Well, never mind, if you can't, we'll just go somewhere else." My answer was, "Well, you know, Gilles, I've been doing things I couldn't do before." I wiggled myself in and we hugged. The dream went on but the rest isn't important. I woke up elated. It was so real. The next night, I couldnt sleep, was agitated and unwell. First thing I did the next morning (sorry for the gory details) was to vomit. No doubt, it was someting I ate but my psychologist thinks it wasn't a coincidence. On the Wednesday when I had that dream, I had relived the last weeks of Gilles' life with the therapist. I was quite shaken and actually started hyperventilating. It was as though my body were evacuating some of the trauma that had built up.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I really feel as though our experiences were in some way similar and to say that I agree with MyPineapple. You're going through a lot now - the third anniversary and the difficult decisions that have to be made. I know how you feel about having a future without Paul. I'm living in a new country without Gilles, wondering if I should buy a house because rents here are so high. It all feels so daunting at times. You clearly don't seem ready to go back to Ireland. Before you do, can you try to find new premises from where you are In Germany? Perhaps ask a friend to check it out for you before you arrive, so at least, things will be put in place and there'll be less anxiety? That's what I did before moving here. One of my major concerns was buying a car on my own. So, when I found one on the Internet that looked suitable, I got my future landlord to try it out for me. Try to make your return to Ireland as comfortable as possible. Don't rush things. Make sure your friends are available to help you make the transition when you're ready.

I hope you're feeling better since you wrote your first post.

• Ah thank you so much, Will6, I really appreciate your message.

Lots of love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds.