Meltdown

• 16 replies
  • 29 subscribers

This morning I had a complete meltdown and feel as if I am back to square one, the day my husband died.

He was diagnosed with kidney cancer last month and died within 2 weeks, at Christmas. This was all a massive shock as he hadn't really been ill, just a bit tired.

The last few weeks have been horrendous but I thought I was doing ok,managing to function with some sort of normality. My daughter has been staying with me but she needs to go home sometime so I decided that once we got to one month after he died, that would be a good time for her to go home. She doesn't live close to me so visiting and being part of her social bubble isn't really an option.

I didn't feel too good yesterday and thought it was because she will be going home at the weekend and that was playing on my mind.  I couldn't sleep last night and this morning just had a complete meltdown because, I think I am terrified of her going and I will be on my own.  I am usually an independent person and myself and my hubby had our own seperate interests so I wasn't used to spending all of my time with him   

So why can't I cope with the thought of being on my own?  Is it normal to have a meltdown and feel as if Ive gone backwards in my grief journey?

I feel putting this extra pressure on my daughter as she is grieving too and I know she is worrying about me anyway. She did say that she would stay longer with me but I don't think that is the answer as the longer she is here the more I may come to rely on her company.

This group is one of the only things that keeps me going at this horrendous time so I would be really grateful for any advice or comments as I have never felt so lonely and empty in my life.

Thank you xx

• Thinking of you hugs xx 

• Hi Sarah21,

it is great to hear that you feel this forum has been so much help to you and I am sure it will continue to be like this for a long time. At least this was, and still is, the case for me. As for GPs and what they can do, I got 10 mg of the antidepressant Lexapro at the time and I am still on it's now almost 3 years later and I could tell you of at least 10 separate okay Asians when I knew it was helping me by taking the edge of the worst pain. And in this situation where the pain was not too bad I was then able to do musings for myself which I knew would help such as joining walking groups or meeting up with friends even though I might not have felt like it at the time. What did your GP suggest?

Best wishes Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• I spoke to an out of hours GP who suggested a low dosage of diazepam, just in case I have another meltdown, it would calm me down.  Thankfully I haven't been like that since so haven't needed any medication.

My daughter went home yesterday and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, I am now on my own but I think I actually need to be so that I can try and process everything that has happened in these last few awful weeks.

I try not to dwell on things as it is all to painful at the moment.  I have had a few lows though...I was filling in a form and had to put my next of kin, I slipped over while walking my dog in the snow and there was nobody to check I was ok, like my husband would've done.  It's times like these when I realise that I really am alone and he has gone.

But tomorrow's another day and I am trying to stay positive,even though it is so hard sometimes, but I know that John would want me to carry on xx

• Sarah 21, take care of yourself. Those moments are horrid- mine have been de-icing the car- I never had to do that, C always did it for me. Also realising that the pressure in the boiler had gone right down- luckily the instructions to put that right were simple. But again, never on my to do list. Be kind to yourself and well done for getting through another day.

xx

• Thankyou for your kind words. It's the little things that take me by surprise and I end up a crying mess. My door lock broke, but I managed to fix it myself, which I was pleased with myself about.

I can only do one day at a time, so getting through another day is such an achievement now.  I cant remember what my life was like before...and yet this nightmare only began 7 weeks ago.  Sending hugs, take care Xx