I'm expressing a serious concern as tactfully as possible regarding Grief and its affect.

• 25 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Dear all, 

I left the Sue Ryder bereaved partners web site because of a lack of understanding and more importantly SUPPORT when I needed it the most. Yes I lost my temper through grief and clinical depression but PRIVATELY to a moderator. No one else saw my post. I was insulting I admit for which I've sent an unreserved apology.  It related to my two posts about thoughts of suiside - JUST THOUGHTS which where taken down. As such I was given judgemental warnings about such posts which I however I had support from by at least  8 other members  who also wished to express such feelings and views just  before my posts where deleted.   As a result of my PRIVATE post to a moderator my account was closed down. As true professionals know, grief expresses itself in a number of ways. Denial. Anger. Guilt. Irrational thoughts. Feelings. AND  behaviours. So I'm truly  sorry if  I offended the feelings of a moderator PRIVATELY  who may never have experienced what I'm going through. I trust that MacMillan are more empathic although I have to accept  they might take this post down for reasons of their own concerning  policy. Purple heart  

Geoff x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ellie 73

My sentiments exactly. People can try as hard as they like but they wil be banging their head against a brick wall because they can never give me what I want. We all have to deal with our own grief our own way, nobody can do it for me.

• Dear ellie73

Your final  'Sad' comment says it all.  Perhaps taking a step back and not judge people by your own standards maybe your way forward to true empathy.

Geoff x

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Of course nobody can give us back what we have lost. I think every single one of us in this group feels this way. But there are definitely, in my experience and in the experience of many others, things that can help us: antidepressants to take the edge off our pain, sleeping tablets which help us sleep, counselling and therapy for those of us who feel that they need to talk about it with a professional. Please things may not work for everyone. But most people I know have found help somewhere somehow, not to make the grief go away but to make live with it easier. I most firmly believe that this is something all of us can do. But we have to be willing to do it. Or, as one of my friends would say: we have to love ourselves enough to want change.

love Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

As to suggesting sleeping tablets may help I'm at a loss, everyone has got to sleep sometime or another it's just the case of how long and when one wakes up their grief awaits them it always will. Furthermore, it has been proven that there have been cases whereby people have still been drowsy in the morning when the have left for work and their reactions much slower and caused an accident whilst driving.

As to counselling, what good can pouring your heart out to a perfect stranger especially if they haven't experienced such a tragic loss as we have accomplish, and even if they have suffered a tragic loss who sits in judgement and says everyone's grief is on par? one may as well talk to the butcher, the baker or candlestick maker. 

One has no idea whatsoever who you are talking to or their own circumstances. Google bereavement counsellor and son, Beachy Head East Sussex. How many people sat in front of her day's and weeks before the 42 year old bereavement counsellor  committed suicide and murdered her 5 year old son leaving his father a note saying if I can't have him no one will. Was she really interested in other people's grief knowing what was on her own horizon? If you think she was you are most certainly on another planet.

There is nothing that can ever take our grief away, every individual is old enough to know that all they can do is deal with their own grief as best as they can on a daily basis.

• Dear Melaniel. 

Opinions vary 

Geoff x 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.