Can I come in?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My love died two weeks ago.

We weren't married; we'd been together since May 2019.  His wife died 4 years ago (from a long term condition) and I was his first serious relationship since.  I have a complicated history with PTSD from an abusive marriage.  In November last year, I took fright because T was moving toward wanting us to live together, and I ended our relationship.  I really hurt him.  But we remained friends and stayed in touch, and in  February this year we were talking about meeting up... and then l got CV-19... and then lockdown happened, so we couldn't meet up.  I'm sure if we had we'd have rekindled our relationship, but it wasn't to be.  But we stayed chatting throughout lockdown.

Then in early July he was rushed into hospital with a blockage in his intestine.  It turned out to be a large tumour, with secondaries on his liver.  And he died on August 25th.  I went back to live with him in July when he came out of hospital, and we had a chance to talk about our relationship, how we felt about each other, what we wanted and hoped for our future.  But he died before we had a chance to make any of that real.

I am so lucky to have had those last few weeks with him.  So lucky that I got the chance to hear that he still loved me and wanted me with him. 

His sister and brother were also with us, most of the time.  His sister was explicit about feeling that I shouldn't be there, as it was a time for him and his family only.  But he wanted me there, so I stayed.  She obviously was very angry - mostly with the cancer, partly with me for having hurt him... I think that's the right sense of it - and she very much wanted to be in control of his care and medication.  She spent quite some time telling me to leave them be for quiet family time, and I tried to respect her space and her wishes - after all, our situation *was* complicated and she had known him and loved him far longer than I.

After he died, his immediate family have excluded me completely.  I wasn't allowed to be involved in planning his funeral (which was yesterday); I wasn't asked to suggest music or contribute to his tributes.  There was no mention of our relationship in the retelling of his life.  That's kind of fine; I do recognise that our relationship was complicated and the funeral certainly wasn't about me.  But at some level it's also hurtful and quite cruel.  His brother, cousins and friends were very kind to me after the service, whereas his sister didn't speak to me at all.  I didn't feel I could go to the reception, afterwards - although his wife's sisters tried to encourage me.

I can live without warm feelings from his family; I understand that their feelings toward me will be complicated and to some extent that chimes with my own guilt.  But I do need support from somewhere.  Is this a place I could ask for it?  Or does the complicated nature of our relationship mean I don't quite fit here?  And if the latter, can you suggest somewhere else, that might have been helpful to you?

• Hi Flylilypad welcome to the forum and I am so very sorry to hear of your bereavement.

Of course you are in the right place and you are most welcome to reach out for support here.

It sounds like you had an on and off kind of relationship and Covid has stolen many precious moments for many people yourself amongst them. That said when all is said and done it sounds like your partner wanted the relationship to continue and for you to be there with him or he wouldn't have asked you.

Sending some huge big hugs your way for now. xxxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to GRANNY59

Thank you, Granny59.  Yes, on and off would be about right; but no less meaningful for that... thank you for hugs - so appreciated! xxx

• Aww bless you flylilypad. Fate interferes with our lives- and loves too. We all have a backstory and some are more complicated than others for many reasons but that is your business.  Maybe the sister was good friends with his late wife or was older and thought she had the right to take over- who knows??? Time will tell.  

Take care x

Tomorrow is another day
  • Of course you belong here. Cancer takes people from  us we love in what ever the circumstances. We are all bonded by pain and hurt. One person might have died but lots of people around them are affected. Navigation g the living people is not always easy or straightforward. Every persons sadness is valid.  

• Of course you belong here you have lost somone you love to this terrible disease we understand . A lot of us have far from straightforward relationships with our loved ones but in the end none of that mattered you were there when he needed you and that is what he wanted .As for his sister she will have to make her own peace with the situation you arnt responsible for her feelings what matters now is you let us support you .Take care x

Granny Sue

• You fit here of course, you are welcome and here you will find a very eclectic bunch! We are very different but seem to be good mates and one or two of us have even met!

So sadly you are welcome it would be a better world if these places didn't have to exist..

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sending you a big virtual hug. Although my background is very different we still miss those we’ve loved. My husbands family haven’t contacted me since his funeral 5 weeks ago...

You're welcome here as the other lovely people have said.

xxx

• Hi flylillypad

Welcome to the group. You fit here because of your berevement but if your PTSD is being triggered, I know some sites for that too. I cared for my husband who also had PTSD so have a fair understanding. You are welcome to message me if you need or want to.

Take care of yourself. Families are strange things! They can be difficult, I have some hard experience with family! Don't let them spoil what you had. You were thereat the end and that is precious. My first husbands family implied in the funeral speech that our 26 year relationship caused him to die! I know that is not true. He left me to give me a chance of normally with our children, he had mental health issues. We were always in love with each other and were good friends and soul mates. Try not to let them get to you. You know the truth.

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• Oops struggling again!!  Got that message!!! Lol x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's family.  That must be very hard... xxx