HMRC

• 17 replies
  • 25 subscribers

A few weeks ago I received a nice cheque fron HMRC saying THEY owed Colin this money. Thank you very much. Yesterday I get a letter from HMRC saying Colin now owes them almost the same amount back. My beef is the 'responsible' accountant person who calculated the first amount should get a kick up the backside for their 'mistake' because it pees me off that had I actually spent that money (as I intended) I  would've had trouble paying it back I will now spend my day (tomorrow)off, on the phone ranting at some 1 who had nowt to do with it Triumph

Rant probably not over TriumphGrin

Have a nice day everyone Blush

• BootsyD,

DWP wrote to me in 2019 re PIP overpayment. I think I googled it earlier this year when finalising my husbands estate and found out that it was not enforceable. My husband died in December 2018 and  I have never been chased for it.

PiP was paid to my husband not me, so would not effect my credit rating.  I may still do the right thing but part me thinks the amount of tax my husband has paid over the years etc and not claimed benefits until he was ill etc. 

DWP would not back date claim when first applied for under special rules. It was our GP who convinced my husband to claim some months after his terminal diagnosis. Sort of feel justified in keeping it....

Dutsie Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to BootsyD

Bootsyd 

hi Diane pension were not worth a lot I used all the money once I sorted all the money  out to pay all the debts off  I had letters debt company when to citizen advice and they help me so when everything is sorted it will be less stressful 

take care 

Martin x

• I too got given money soon after his death and now been landed with a bill saying he owes money .   All a mystery to me and my tax code has changed so many times since  feb I think the pull the code out of a hat each month like lottery  numbers.  Does my head in. Feels like the paperwork never ends. I also got ' bonus' funeral payment from Dept of Work and Pensions as he was 61 and working'  expect tax man will want a piece of that too.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NellieJ

Hi Nellie 

dwp did you apply for the bereavement allowance you get I think instead of their pension because they are under pension age I don’t thinktax man can’t touch that money 

take care 

Martin x 

• Hi -- it just sort of happened. In the paperwork turbulence of letting everyone know, I had to let the DWP know he had died and they did the form with me there and then on the phone as my partner was 61 - so a lump arrived.  Contributed to the motorbike I bought.  My reading and admin skills are fairly ok, I worry about how others without these or second language manage it all - It was really exhausting keeping track of where I had sent all the different death certs, other id things needed for all the different things - telling passports, DVLA, workplaces, pensions, this still lingers on a bit with tax and probate and his was not even complicated.  Tax is the most complicated though and most baffling - my hat is off to anyone who works in it or understands it. 

• Lizzy-K you were right it was the company car and fuel allowance that caused them to ask for 'most' of it back! I don't get why it  wasn't  the same amount as the cheque they sent in August Money mouth

HeyHo the Cheque's in the post now!!

Tomorrow is another day
  • and today my tax code is.........and next week it will be........and now changed again as they taxing the occupational pension from partner.........and who knows..........