Baffled by the Digital Afterlife

• 17 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello I am struggling a bit with the digital afterlife. The paperwork admin after death seemed onerous but I understood it. Digital things, different matter. I was put on face recognition on his phone so I see what his face book is doing - he gets reminders of what he was doing a year ago 2 years ago - weird. I even tried sending him a friend request having just started trying Facebook - even more weird to try a friend your dead partner. Exiting him from whatsapp groups 2 months after he died - strange. 

His email account will remain a mystery, and all the things like credit card details in amazon, paypal,  ebay. Computers with passwords I cant guess, gadgets that I dont understand and enough charging cables to weave a hammock. I got a young friend who understands more things to remove somethings from his phone, but I am aware how much of a digital footprint is left behind. Any one got similar or any advice? Or will it just fade away into space and time. 

• Ha ha BootsyD,

My kids just tell me that old people and technology don't mix!!! Cheek I have only just turned 53!!! 

• BootsyD - yes they might know how to correct a Windings (whatever that is)  but could they operate a duplicating machine or recognise the distinctive colour purple of the ink, or remember the dial up sound of the early interweb.  Plus they missed out not having telly, seeing the test card and the end of the TV (2 channels), and were not there for the moon landing. And phones with cords so you stood in the hall (when you had a phone), and the sound of the clunk of the 2 p going into the phone box.........., vespa noodles, nylon sheets, spam fritters, (realise this is UK based),  At least I have some really rubbish memories of childhood to comfort me.  

• Can I add crappy bikes, fighting with skinheads, the dreaded party 7 and 4. Ridiculous fashion. (Still have that now don't we?) Toast toppers and angel delight.

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• Hi Wildcat,

I have no idea of his password for his email so couldn't access it.

If, down the track, you do want to access his email, there is a way you can do it.

There is a small program called mailpv.exe (mail password viewer) that can be freely downloaded from www.nirsoft.net. When you're on their site, there is a menu down the left hand side of the screen. Click on "Password Tools" and then scroll down and click on "Mail PassView". Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on either of the "Download Mail PassView in zip file (mailpv.zip)" or 
    "Download Mail PassView With Install/Uninstall Support (mailpv_setup.exe)" links. If you're not overly tech-savvy, the second link is the better one to select.

It supports a wide range of email applications. For each email account that it knows about, the following fields are displayed: Account Name, Application, Email, Server, Server Type (POP3/IMAP/SMTP), User Name, and the Password.

If you need any clarification or help with this, please don't hesitate to ask.

Peace,
    Ewen :-)

The day after your journey ends, the sun will still rise.
    As will you.
  • One thing I forgot to add is that most anti-virus or security applications will flag this as a malicious or potentially malicious program and block it. You may need to temporarily disable your AV while you download and run it.

Peace,
    Ewen :-)

The day after your journey ends, the sun will still rise.
    As will you.
  • You know this 'Cloud' thing, how do you find it- if you have one???

Tomorrow is another day
  • I have never sussed out the cloud thing!! As far as I know they are pretty fluffy things in the sky!!! Lol

Love Alison xxx