Baffled by the Digital Afterlife

• 17 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello I am struggling a bit with the digital afterlife. The paperwork admin after death seemed onerous but I understood it. Digital things, different matter. I was put on face recognition on his phone so I see what his face book is doing - he gets reminders of what he was doing a year ago 2 years ago - weird. I even tried sending him a friend request having just started trying Facebook - even more weird to try a friend your dead partner. Exiting him from whatsapp groups 2 months after he died - strange. 

His email account will remain a mystery, and all the things like credit card details in amazon, paypal,  ebay. Computers with passwords I cant guess, gadgets that I dont understand and enough charging cables to weave a hammock. I got a young friend who understands more things to remove somethings from his phone, but I am aware how much of a digital footprint is left behind. Any one got similar or any advice? Or will it just fade away into space and time. 

• I admit I haven't touched Carla's laptop, tablet or phone even though she gave me all her passwords etc..

If she lives on,on Facebook as a rude person who never answers friends requests, notifications and whatever else Facebook do then what the hell. She's still on Whatsapp groups we belong to and will remain there as far as I'm concerned.

I think ones digital footprint will remain in Cyberland forever like a Dinosaurs footprint found in a dry riverbed, my view is once I've gone what the hell do I care about the cloud!

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• Cloud??? Not a clue how to access the cloud!!! All the stuff on the cloud will just float away on our house !!!

Lmao!!!

Tomorrow is another day
  • I have no idea of his password for his email so couldn't access it. At first it bothered me but now it doesn't.  Ditto Amazon etc. There's so many cables most of which I have no idea what they're for and some are doubtless obsolete.

Laptop remains untouched as does his tablet. He also had two desktop computers.

One day I'll have to decide what to do with the technology, one day.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Lol at the cables thing!! There's a box under the computer table that is now only half full of cables, charging leads that I have no idea what they are 'just in case' of!

The laptop is ok at the moment but the emails have changed into some kind of 'code' - feck knows how that's happened!!! Someone said they are wingbats/wing- something or other!!! One of the sons will see to it! 

Tomorrow is another day
  • Lol at the cables thing!! There's a box under the computer table that is now only half full of cables, charging leads that I have no idea what they are 'just in case' of!

The laptop is ok at the moment but the emails have changed into some kind of 'code' - feck knows how that's happened!!! Someone said they are wingbats/wing- something or other!!! One of the sons will see to it! 

Tomorrow is another day
  • I even managed to post this twice :)

Tomorrow is another day
  • Sadly I have tidied all the cables, listed them, got rid of obsolete, set up charging points around the apartment. Dare I admit I have even colour coded some for the new style fits anyway round usb and the old style fits only one way.

Too much time on my hands? Or just a sad old git?

(I'm going for sad old git with too much time on his hands)

But I did have a fun evening yesterday, where I dug out the killer jars and filled and listed them with their contents...what a lark!

• BootsyD - I think The Cloud is something you lie back and gaze at from a hammock made of charging cables.  And I think you access it by squinting into the sunshine. 

• Etm for killer read Kilner.... Stupid cloud auto correct

• Wingdings gone!! 2 sons came to see what I'd done - how very dare they suggest such a thing- finally Jake said I'll switch it off and on again....no more needs to be said!!!! 

Grin

Tomorrow is another day