Coming out of the shock

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

its been a good 6 months since I’ve been on this forum as I have been trying to survive and get thing everything that has needed to be done following my husbands death. Plus I have been a physical and mental wreck for most of it. I only now feel that I am really beginning to accept that he is not coming back and that I am now on my own and have to get on with it. My son lives with me he is 21 and he has been a sort of comfort but it’s hard for him as well as he is starting a new life also having left uni and decided on a different course of study. I suppose that I just want to say that the latest realisation is that I am my 100% now. Whereas my husband was my confidant, my no1 fan and my back washer, foot massager and dress doer upper as well as all the other lovely things that he used to do for me I now have to do for myself. It is so very hard to adapt after 25 years together and I miss him dreadfully. Not the mention all the jobs in the house and garden. The other week I fell over in the street tripped over a bench leg distracted by somebody in my path and have badly hurt my arm. Things like that really highlight how much you relied on your partner for emotional support and help. Not being able to get my dress or bra off that evening really got to me but I struggled on and after 10 mins got undressed. What I’m saying is that we do find new strength and we can cope we can learn new skills and we can be independent again. We didn’t choose this life but we can make the best of it and have some peace and enjoyment. Best wishes health hope and happiness to you all sending much love.xx

• Hi Hollybush

I have just passed the 2ns anniversary of my husband's passing and you are correct we do find new strengths and skills which I am thankful for. 

This isn't a life I wanted, we discussed retiring abroad or lots of holidays together, being Grandparents, non of which my husband will get. Adrenal cancer took him aged 47. He got no time at all.

I'm trying my best but it's hard work and i will always miss him.

I hope you continue to be positive, sending you a hug 

• Ruby diamond x