Does it get any easier

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 27 subscribers

So my darling husband Bob died in my arms on 17th January 2020. He battled for 9 months from cancer of the unknown primary but declined rapidly after Christmas. I know he died at home with me and we had rime to say everything we wanted to say but I keep having flashbacks of the hours leading up to his death which was not a quiet one. Had to wait until 10th feb for his funeral which was wonderful attended by over 140 people. I have now had to return to work for financial reasons as we had no mortgage protection or life insurance and he was only 64 and I am 59 so it’s all down to me now to manage and pay for the house which is scarey enough. I have been crying a lot at nights as that is the hardest time for me but last night was awful I spent most of the night watching phone videos I have of him just to listen to his voice and sobbed most of the night. I am really struggling to come to terms that I will never see him again and the future that we had planned has been taken from us. I have family and friends who are marvellous but they keep saying I’m a strong woman and doing well. Truth be told I’m not.

Anyone out there feeling the same

sheila

• Dear Sheila

I can feel the heart wrenching agony you are going through, as like everyone else, I too went through this following the passing of my dear wife Anne in July last year. You ask ' Anyone out there feeling the same'  I certainly did for many months but as  time progressed the 'grief attacks' as I call them lessened in frequency and intensity. But of course they still hit me from time to time as expected. We just can't block off many years of love and devotion forever and go through life as if nothing much had happened. I know this might sound like one of those worn out cliches but things do ease off with time. We  learn quite automatically  to build around our grief as the reality of day to day  survival makes its demands. But always know that Bob is forever in your heart; in your soul; and walking beside you in spirit as does my Anne with me.

Love and Light 

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Thank you Geoff, it’s posts like this that give me hope and thank you for taking time to reply. I do know he is with me that’s for sure as he does some weird stuff to let me know and I talk to him all the time and I can feel him hold my hand or give me a cuddle when I need it most. Everything in life just feels unimportant and worthless at the moment but I know it’s just pure grief and I’m not depressed so I guess I go with it taking everything hour at a time.

sheila x

• Hi Sheila

I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope posting on here and reading other posts will make you feel less alone and everything your going through is normal. 

I echo Geoffs post, the initial pain does lessen and I'm nearly at my husbands 2nd Anniversary I do have some good days, I will always miss my husband and the future we have been robbed of. He was only 47 so we had imagined many more years together.

All we can do is take small steps in the early days, only concentrate on the important things, eat sleep and look after yourself.

I am only just back to work, as well as looking after our 2 children they keep me busy and moving forward. 

I hope you find our site useful and get some comfort from knowing your not alone. 

• Ruby diamond x
  • Dear Sehila,

I am sorry you are feeling so sad. It is very early days for you. And not only your emotions but also your body and mind - in fact, your whole being - has to adjust to a new normal without your dearest one. This will take time. All you can do for now I guess is to be kind to yourself, to do what you feel is right for yourself, try and eat as often and as well as you can, get as much rest and sleep as you can, and let yourself be minded by others. I was glad to read that you have family around you. This thing about "You are a strong woman", believe me, I have heard it too and so so many times. And it is annoying because we don't feel strong, we feel so helpless in this grieving process, but, you know, I think the strength is there, we all have it, and it shows itself in the fact that we are still here and trying to get on with life and our new normal as best we can, not to mention what we did while our loved ones were still alive and we were there for them every step of the way. I hope today is a slightly better day for you.

Love and hugs

Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Now I know why I’m on this site as talking to people going through the same makes men realise I’m not going through this alone so thank you everyone just seem to be having a really bad couple of days but my family can tell and they are coming over now so that will cheer me up a bit. 
    I know I’ve got to keep going and for now I’m taking it an hour at a time with tissues in every room!

sheila

• Yes, that's why these sites and grief groups exist. Our friends and family do help to keep us distracted and to keep us going but, for some reason, sharing with people who understand exactly what we're experiencing changes everything.

Your grief will change and take on different shapes, Sheilaj. As everyone else told you, the initial pain will wane. Does it get better? It depends on what we mean by better. It's true that after a while we no longer feel as though we were floundering and suffocating and there are certain things we can actually enjoy again. Of course, I'm speaking from a personal point of view and, fortunately, everyone's different and, so, some may start back appreciating life sooner than others.

Today marks 14 months for me. Where am I today? First, I am more and more comfortable with my own company and am actually quite jealous of my time with myselfHugging. I realized something else about myself this week. I've become much more outspoken and tell people more readily what I think, whereas before, I kept things bottled up and swallowed the small injustices or annoyances. I still miss my husband desperately and can't bear to watch photos of him. There's one in particular of the two of us that makes me break down each time. I still don't cook. Bitter tears still flow -  less than before but they're still there. 

The positive in all this? As far as my life is concerned, there isn't really except that I see everyday the indelible mark Gilles has made on me. As I said in a post this week, I think, I haven't figured out who I am without him, but I do recognize the parts of me that were shaped by him. If nothing else, that's how he lives on.

So, what I'm trying to say, Sheilaj, is that grieving is complex: you'll mourn your husband and miss him sorely but there'll also be quite a bit of self-discovery and you, yourself, will change. I guess that's why it's called a journey. Our spouses' deaths mean not only their physical absence but a sort of self-alienation (I don't know how else to express it) and we now have to come into our own. For me, that's hard.

You're nowhere near there. Just cope as best you can, whatever that means. Judging from what we're all going though, we can deduce that human beings are resilient and, somehow, I don't really know how, we manage to pull through. You will, too, and we're all here, ready to lend a virtual shoulder for you to cry on.

I wish you lots of courage and I hope you'll be surrounded by all the love and support you need. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to limbo

Thank you limbo I will take a lot from your post x

• Sheila, I am so sorry for your Heartache. I am going through exactly the same now and have been since the 18th December 2019. My Beautiful wife Tina had Small Cell Lung Cancer and was doing brilliantly until Radiotherapy was done. It was so quick towards the end and I still see the things from the night she went, whilst at home with us. I was promised a dignified passing by the hospice and it was nothing like it. It was something from a Horror film and I go to sleep some nights and still see it. I sit for hours on my own at night watching music on Youtube that had meaning to us. We were married for 25 years and that was all my adult life. We married when I was 19 and Tina was 24 years older than me. I feel I have nothing left and hate coming home to an empty house. Friends are brilliant but none of them come around for a chat or coffee, so one day goes to another day and weeks turn to months. It is very hard, something we will never get over but should manage to come to terms with eventually.

Keep Strong Sheila because you will not know how strong you really are until being Strong is all you can do.

God Bless

John

BILLYTHEDOG
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Billythedog

How true, all you wrote, John. 

Xxx

• Andrea Thank You for your reply. It lets me know that i'm not just experiencing a form of Madness.

God Bless and Keep Strong

John

BILLYTHEDOG