Picking up the pieces

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts and seeing so many heart breaking stories of people who have joined this forum and lost loved ones. 

Time has gone by and I don't reply sometimes because someone else has put what I was thinking but in a much better way.

I've had a few health problems that have dragged on but going through appointments...

I'm still working though it's been tough at times work, friends and family plus counselling helped. I feel it's time to pick up all my pieces and try and put myself back together. It's not going to be the me I was. There's many memories of good and bad times that go up and down. But as much as I miss him the suffering and deterioration (cancer for 10 years) couldn't go on. So now and only now can I allow myself to be happy when I can, yes I felt guilty. Yes I find it hard without him. But for my mental health and the knowledge he battled and didn't want to go now the next step.

I didn't want to start a new chapter without him in it but time moves us all forward should we want to or not.

The only thing I can say about grief is it is a rollercoaster cry, sleep, eat and rest, whenever you can. Forgive yourself and loved ones for hurt and bad events (its the cancer)  It takes as long as it takes theres no rushing it. Allow yourself to wade through memories and take care of yourselves. Belongs and surroundings unless essential can be dealt with when necessary do only what's important. 

With love and best wishes to you all. Xxx

• Hi Wifeof26years,

Just wanted to thank you for your post which I had read earlier but did not get the chance to respond. 

I have found this post and your posts over the last year or so, whilst coming to terms with my grief, most helpful and comforting.

It's so hard to get that balance but you are right in that it takes time and sometimes just doing the essentials is enough...

With lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dutsie

Hi Dutsie, 

I've read an appreciated your posts too.

It's such an individual time when you go through this grief although being on this forum has helped. Sometimes it's been very dark for me and knowing others feelings has made a difference. Part of the reason I've not added my thoughts at times. 

Let's hope someone not as far a long this time frame can take comfort, though I'm 18 months on and now two years with my Dad's passing too.

Thankyou take care xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I can fully relate to these posts and it is actually comforting to me to read that there are a lot of people out there trying to navigate this journey as best we can.

Fifteen months have gone since my husband's passing and it seems like the grief comes in waves, sometimes I feel like I can get on with things, and other times I just sit in my bed , staring at the four walls completely numb.

I have a daughter at University and she has not got the essay results she had hoped for and she is devastated.  We are not even sure if she will get the degree she needs.  To be honest, I am finding it hard to keep myself together, and I have got to give her support and a shoulder to cry on as she is hurting after losing her Dad who was her best friend.  Especially at this crucial time at University (she did take a year out after her Dad passed away, so this is her re-sitting her fourth year and I am not sure she should have actually gone back when she did).  Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread - sometimes I don't know who to turn to when there is drama!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Glasgow Rangers,

I think the most important thing is to share these "dramas" we don't have the person there that we would have turned too. That's hard in itself without the difficulty of supporting each other. There's some huge soul searching is this really what she wants? Is she putting too much pressure on herself? Can she talk to a tutor at Uni?

Did you or your daughter get any counselling at any stage. 

I had quite a difficult time at work before my husband passed and completely changed career. It may not have been what I expected but I've still got good friends other family and feel a respected member of staff. So times  are not what I thought but it's a different life.

I hope your daughter finds a way through please let us know. Take care xxx

• FormerMember

Hi WifeOf26years. 

I got counselling from the hospice that my husband passed away in.  My daughter went to counselling at the university, but it did not work for her and she said it was a waste of time so what do you do?

I have asked her to contact the student assistance team at the uni and she has said that she will do this but we will see.

Thanks for your kind words.

• Hi Glasgow Rangers I’m 22months into this new life. I also have a daughter who was/is so close to her Dad.My other two children were close to Rob but our youngest was his shadow.He was the one man that never let her down.when her marriage broke down she knew her Dad would always be there.Now since Rob has passed/died- I never know what to say!- she has also joined the police force the same as her Dad.I just want to say that both you and I have the same thing in common and also your Glasgow Rangers name is more than home to me. Take care xx

• FormerMember

Dewar Glasgow Rangers

It's a worrying time for you both let us know how things go. Sorry she felt counselling was no help, hope there's a way through. Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to robmar

Thanks robmar.  This is horrendous.  I still cannot believe that he is not coming back.  I come into the house and think about telling him something, then I remember that he won't answer back.

Re Glasgow Rangers - lol I am from a family of Rangers supporters and go over to Ibrox when I get a ticket.