Books about bereavement and grief

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask about any recommendations for books people have found helpful. A couple of people have mentioned reading about bereavement and grief and I would be grateful for recommendations. My son’s girlfriend gave me a book called Grief Works by Julia Samuel. Another friend recommended Grief is the thing with feathers by Max Porter. 
I want to say I hope you’re all having an ok Tuesday though I’m sure some of us, many of us, are not. Also, wishing you all a good sleep tonight.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good sleep to you ALL too and a brigther day tomorrow. 

Andrea xxx

• The one that I found most helpful was "It's Ok that you're not Ok: Meeting grief and loss in a culture that doesn't understand" by Megan Devine. 

I also liked " Rabbit cake" by Annie Hartnett, a bit lighter but interesting.

Dalia xx

I am I, and you are you,
    and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
    Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.

• I read On Grief and Grieving and Life After Death by Kübler-Ross. She's recognized as the grief expert who developed the 5 stages of grief.There are lots of stories relating people's experiences in the first book. Life After Death is more about near-death experienes and proof that there is an afterlife and that our loved ones continue living but in another dimension.  I recently read Finding Meaning: The Sixth Stage of Grief. Another one was On Death and Dying where you see the process from the patient's point of view. I didn't read that right away; I did so about 10 months after. To tell the truth, I cried through the books and probably need to read them over. No, that's not true, I probably know the 1st one by heart - read it over a million times.

• Thanks everyone for these suggestions.

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm