Coming back to an empty house

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I just returned from holiday with my sister to an empty house, and I felt as though I had been bereaved all over again.

• I hope time will make you feel better...

I was going to post something similar. I've recently been away for two weeks - the middle weekend was spent in my late husband's beloved Sussex so we could scatter his ashes at Charleston Farmhouse. He died on September 30 last year. Following the scattering, I felt such a sense of peace and a feeling that I wanted to really start living again, as he had hoped I would. But the minute I stepped into my (our) house, it all disappeared. I feel as sad and unmotivated as ever before...grief is a very difficult taskmaster

I have put in an application for a house where my daughter and her family will be moving. I hope it won't take too long. I have the highest number of points one can have. I think a fresh start is needed.

Hugs to you, Dreenie61,

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MarthaGM

Thank you so much for replying. I haven't posted before and feel quite nervous, but I had such a terrible night that I felt I had to do something. I understand what you're saying about feeling you're moving on, then coming back down very suddenly, but scattering your husband's ashes is a major step and it sounds like you did a lovely thing. I haven't been able to do it yet, but I want to deal with it soon, hopefully before Xmas, which is when my partner died. 

I have been thinking about moving, but am hesitating because I have great neighbours and lots of friends around, so I'm not making any big decisions yet. I wish you luck with your application and hope it's not too long till you get a house you are happy in. 

• Dreenie. I think you've done well going away. I've never been away with anyone apart from my husband or family as a child and have no one to go away with now .

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Wildcat

Hi there, I'm so sorry that you feel that way. I don't have kids but I have a great sister and good friends, which has been a real comfort. I really enjoyed the break, but came down with such a bump, that I wished I hadn't gone. I actually feel better for joining the forum, and I hope it gives you some support. 

• This forum can be a virtual lifeline. So sorry you have the circumstances that require your presence here - certainly a "club" with members who'd rather not be here - but it is a great place for not feeling quite so alone.

I live in a very remote area in Scotland, so moving won't be too difficult, although I have a lovely and very tightly knit community here that has been so supportive of me since Chris died. But I will enjoy being closer to my daughter and her family. My granddaughters mean the whole world to me and I want to see more of them.

All the best to you,

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.