The different ways folk deal with the death of their spouse/partner.

• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Having lost my Anne just over 2 months ago ( Married 50yrs)  I put this up for interest only.

At my end of the street I'm one of 6 widowers! Four in the last year! I'm one of them.  I know and speak to them all. One dear man is 86. He tells me it still  often brings him to tears when he hears his wife's name mentioned -  nearly a year on. My second friend is also 86. Six months on he cries every morning after waking up and walks into an empty living room. The final third friend I'm mentioning lost his wife 2yrs ago after 29yrs of marriage. Within two weeks of her passing he disposed of her clothes. Within three weeks  he went on holiday. And again within two months. When I asked him tactfully how he was able to do these things he replied. " Geoff. D.... had been seriously ill for 5yrs. During that time I saw to her every needs. It was hard towards the end as I could only get her around in a wheel chair. When I got the phone call from the hospital telling me she had passed it felt like a heavy weight had been lifted both from  D... and myself. I know she wanted to die. Some people have implied I've been cold hearted but I loved D... " A few weeks ago he took off his wedding ring and said to me. " Technically speaking I'm single now so why wear a wedding ring? You never know your luck do you?"  He is 72.

The different ways folk deal with the death of their spouse/partner.

Love and Light.

Geoff

• A very interesting read Geoff

I admire the positive outlook some have. Everyone is different but for me achieving alittle everyday keeps me moving forward. 

Nice to think others manage to move on and find joy, but sadly others are totally devastated. I'm trying to be somewhere in the middle.

I hope you enjoy a peaceful evening

• Ruby diamond x
  • Hi Ruby Diamond

I too am somewhere in the middle. But some days are dreadful like today. I woke up this morning feeling mentally numb. But it was a day I had agreed to meet an old work colleague I've had breakfast with in the past at our Beefeater pub/restaurant. Driving there was hard. My heart wasn't in it. We met. Ate and talked. Thank goodness he did most of the talking. Having told him initially of Spiritual visitations some folk have whilst going through the dying process. A process I believe my Anne went through. I could see he didn't believe it. Said it was all in their head despite this phenomenon having been researched for five years  and proved to be true  by Penny Saryori in her book 'Near Death Experiences.' Penny was a palliative NHS nurse. So that really closed me down. Driving home my mood hadn't lifted. My mind had come to a standstill. Totally numb. At home I had massive grief attack that left me distraught for a few hours before it passed. In despair I was about to go out and buy some vodka when the mood suddenly lifted. Almost immediately so the drink was forgotten. . I will always be Married to my Anne. I will miss her forever. And no other woman will ever enter into my life. I suppose I'm a born one woman man.

Love and Light

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.