I don't even know how I feel, but it's bad.

• 6 replies
  • 27 subscribers

My beautiful wife Margaret passed away July 23 this year.We were married for 33 years and together for 36. I was her full time carer for a little bit over 7 years.

It's only been 7 weeks since then, but my whole world has become so much smaller, greyer, duller and everything just feels out of focus emotionally.

Our 2 sons, their wives and kids have handled things far better than I have. The kids, I expected them to rebound quickly. They were heartbroken when their nanny passed. They cried. They screamed. They fought. Then they calmed down and accepted. And then they remembered. And then they smiled. And laughed. And remembered more. And smiled more.

Would that I had the wisdom of children.

I'm booked in to see a psychologist shortly as my sleep patterns have become a joke. Typically 1-2 hours a night - a horrible blend of a half an hours sleep abruptly ended by horrifying nightmares of someone in my family dying. 2 hours to calm down then back to the half hour sleep. I've never really had nightmares since I was about 6 or 7, but nothing my childhood mind could imagine comes close to the horror of waking in a totally terrified state.

I'm currently seeing a grief counsellor to help me try and adjust to the day-to-day activities of normal life. I think I've forgotten what "normal" looks like. My IT skills are now so out of date that I don't know what I will do for work from this point. My social skills have evaporated - crowds do my head in and talking to more than 2 or 3 people at a time is simply beyond me at the moment.

Whenever I do go out, within 10 minutes of getting wherever I was going, I feel the most urgent over-riding need to be at home. It's like my gut is screaming at my head, "Why aren't you at home? Your place is at home. You have to be at home. Go home!!". Sure enough, I find myself in the car on the way home.

Our local supermarket is literally 65 metres from my front door. Last week it took me 4 hours to do the weekly shopping. Go to supermarket, start shopping, get the first handful of things into the trolley, over-riding need to go home takes over, pay for handful of things and rush home. Calm down, unpack handful of things (luckily this doesn't take long ;-) ), and then go back to the supermarket for the next handful of things. Repeat until I've gotten enough of the shopping list done to make the remainder into the beginnings of next weeks list.

Cancer is an insidious bastard.

Not content with taking my darling from me, it is now stripping me of any worth I had.

I hate what cancer did to my wife and my family.

I hate what cancer is still doing to me.

Ewen Cry

• Hi Ewen. I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. It’s a very hard time for you. My wife Winnie passed away on 15 July. So I am only a couple of days ahead of you. 

We were married for 43 years and together 44 years. I have 3 adult sons and they also seem to handle it better, even though it is very hard for them. Loosing a parent I don’t think is the same as loosing a wife/ husband soulmate. And only we know the pain suffering and loneliness we are going through. 

I couldn’t agree more with you about shopping, I just want to get in and out as quick as possible and return home .

The future is bleak for all of us . But at least we have each other here.

I hope you get some sleep tonight

Mike.  

Love you always Winnie xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to winmick

It's been nearly 2yeard since my babe was taken from me.

It seams like yesterday and it seems like an iternity ago. 

Tescos is five miles away from my house, our. Home. I fear going to get the shopping. I, once we. Live in a rural area where yout bound to meet someone you know at the shop. "Hi how are you" 

Oh I'm, fine is my reply..

While inside I'm thinking.."MY LIFE HAS ENDED, how the f.... K do you think, I am.. 

Trouble is I also get that from my friends Familly doctor and everyone excevt for the people on here. 

Xxx 

I'm totally lost. 

• I can relate to everything you said, Ewen. For some reason, shopping has become one of the most depressing chores. I never know what to buy and at times I find myself literally turning around in circles in the middle of the supermarket.

I think we feel an urge to rush home for several reasons. First, I believe we need to feel protected and safe and home allows us to be in our little bubble. I think that's why crowds are so hard for us.  As much as the loneliness can be overwhelming, I prefer to be alone because when I'm alone it's like I'm with my husband. I can be sad as I want, I can talk to him out loud, plead with him to give me a sign, whatever. Last night I was with a group of colleagues. It was very depressing listening to the married couples talk about their plans to buy a house or to travel to places where my husband and I would have liked to go together and I knew that no matter what I did or where I went, I would always carry my sadness with me.

Yes, cancer took away the lives of our husbands and wives but it has also ripped us to bits. I don't even know who I am anymore. A part of us was buried with our spouses. What do we do with the half that is left? Will we become whole again but in a different way? I have no idea.

• Hi limbo, as  an outsider to this group, I wonder if doing your shopping online would help? Just a practical solution that might go some way towards not knowing what to buy?

Or would u sit at  the computer feeling the same?

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi limbo the last few weeks I have been pleading with my wife to give me a sign any sign would do in the beginning I felt her round me but a don't now which worries me has anyone else had this feeling 

Ian
  • Hi,

Buttercup, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm living on a small island (I have one more year left here) where shopping online is not an option. There are so many unpleasant situations to face at the moment that that is just one more but I'm coping as best I can.

Newb, I wish I could tell you something to give you hope. I think you were lucky to feel your wife around you in the beginning. I never really felt my husband.. It's hard to say. The other night I was thinking of him so hard that I did feel as if he was on the couch with me but you never know if it's your imagination or not. But to come back to you: I remember reading once that people tend to feel their loved one's presence more in the beginning because their energy  is still high right after they've passed away. Others say that when we ourselves are too distraught, we are unable to feel them because we are too wrapped up in our sadness. I try to tell myself that if there is an afterlife, maybe they, too, need  time to adjust to their new situation and to do whatever work is necessary for their new journey. Even if you don't feel your wife right now, maybe you will later. Besides, it doesn't mean she's not with you.  Give it time and continue to believe in the love you shared and still do. Unfortunately, we will never see them or feel them like before and that is what is so hard to bear. The gift we had was so cruelly snatched away from us and we don't know when we'll be reunited. I say when because it has to be when and not if, right? In the meantime, they're in our hearts.