Alcohol

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 36 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I was wondering if I'm the only one to resort to alcohol to help me get through? I wouldn't say I drink to excess, and I don't drink during the day, but I like a g&t and a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. Just back from visiting friends for the weekend  and drank a bit too much, but I'm beginning to think, what the hell? John hardly drank, never smoked, wasn't overweight and had a pretty healthy lifestyle, but still died of cancer at 65. Makes no sense. So here I am, watching rubbish on TV and drinking my second glass of wine. Cheers! 

• What good can come out of the one you love soulmate and best friend being dragged away from the person they wanted to be with I cannot see where people get that idea from   sorry on a rant ain't I 

Ian
  • Hi Anne,

Paul told our niece one day before he died that he had enough and wanted it to be over. And I, too, priad for a quick and peaceful end for him as his life was only suffering, he had no quality of life left, he was in pain most of the time, very weak, had no appetite, couldn't taste anything anymore, was disoriented and confused for most of the time. Of course all I could wish for was that it would be over soon. Why would you want your loved one to remain in suffering? Nobody can want that. I think the wish for Paul to be free from suffering became stronger than my wish for him to stay with me. We have to be able to let loved ones go when their suffering has become too much. Yes, it is sad, of course it is, but isn't it sadder to see a person suffering continuously? I think it is anyway.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi my wife was the same she had been in pain for days in Macmillan ward they moved her to critical care but 2days later I told them to remove the tubes she was in agony and I could not see that I still have nightmare now about it can't help blaming myself

Ian
  • Hi Anneh1981

I totally agree with you. I've just pulled out of another site I use  ( I hope just temporarily ) because of the moralising  and judgemental attitude a few contributors  directed at me for raising the subject of having a few drinks of an evening.I lost my soul mate and wife of 50yrs to pancreatic cancer two months ago. These folk love to take a post completely out of context and turn it against us. And the more I defended my role the worse it got. It was when finally some prude actually said "Do you realise Geoff that every post you put up involves alcohol!  Well of course it did I'm trying to get a message across regarding the responsible and medicinal use of having a drink and you narrow minded creeps are doing everything you can to scupper that message. 

Light and Love

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• I totally agree with you Geoff. If a few drinks in the evening kills this pain then have them. Everything has been taken from us. It’s 9 weeks since I lost my wife. And I can’t imagine another 10 month of this never mind 10 years.so I will keep on having a drink at night. Don’t give a s... what anybody else thinks. 

Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • Drink on, I say! i hadn't seen this thread before. Are they crazy? Having a couple of drinks a night has nothing to do with being an alcoholic. My husband and I used to have a  drink almost every night before he got ill and now when I have a glass of wine or beer, I think of him and actually thank him for introducing this little ritual into our lives. 

As for God, I've lost all faith. Jesus may have suffered but according to the Bible, he was God made man and he was sent for that very reason.  My husband was just a normal man and he suffered a bit too much for my liking, especially in the last 6 months. I prayed throughout Gilles' illness and I believed we would receive the miracle I was praying for. I did novenas, I fasted regularly, the works!  My husband was an atheist but he humoured me and probably got some comfort from the prayers at times. I tell people I don't want to hear about God right now, yet they go on about God's plan and all the rest. I don't mean to offend anybody here but I believe some of you understand how I feel.

Frankly, I don't think we should even acknowledge the bigots on the forum. From what I gather, we are all reasonable and responsible adults who happen to be in a lot of pain. I suppose very soon they would be telling us that having a drink is a sin!