Being Mindful Of Our Thoughts

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Two recent threads on here have made me decide to write this post. The threads are the one started by Andrea talking about symptoms of cancer and the all too familiar conversation about what we could have seen or should have seen and why we weren't able to see it and what we would do if we could have it all over again. And the other thread is "Struggling" which is very long and I am not sure who started it.

I think many of us, myself included, get into a situation from time to time where they do this mental looping. For example, I think of Paul during his last day at home, I think of a particular situation, I replay it in my mind, I find fault with what I did or how I reacted, I blame myself, I replay the situation again but this time with the desired reaction, I blame myself again for not having reacted appropriately... and the pain gets bigger and bigger until I can hardly breathe and basically think what an f***ing cow I am for not having done whatever I now feel I should have done.

It is so easy to fall into those traps.

When we are early in our grieving process, I think it is normal that we can't see how futile this is, and part of getting to terms with what has happened is to feel this "what if" quite a bit.

But later on, when we are aware that our thoughts have once again wandered off into the "what ifs" and into self-blame, I think we need to take control of our thoughts and stop ourselves.

It's a bit like what I teach in mindfulness meditation. When your mind has wandered from the present moment, notice it, say "oh thinking" to yourself as acknowledgement of what you've been doing, and come back to the present moment.

We should not be on our own case at every minute of every day, but I believe it could be helpful to not go with every story our mind is telling us.

Because, guys, it remains a fact: We cannot change any of what has happened. All our thinking and all our self-blame and all our questioning won't bring the husbands and wives and partners back.

I have interrupted two our my thought processes this morning already. And it almost felt a little sad to do so. I think this is because these thoughts have become so familiar to me. But I want to make space for new thoughts.

Love, Mel.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mel. Thanks for your message to help us to deal with the awful thoughts and feelings of guilt.

i am doing meditation and mindfulness to try and get my brain working again so I can be as good a mom as I can be for our son but what I struggle with this way of doing things is that it stops me from trying to process what happened. I almost feel like it’s a way of brushing things under the carpet. 

Is this because I still haven’t quite accepted what has happened or am I approaching this in the wrong way? It’s when I meditate that all the very painful thoughts and memories arise and it feels very wrong to simply acknowledge them as just a thought.

i think I have a very long way to go.

•  Hi again, 

I think you are pointing to a very interesting thing in your post: the fact that, on one hand, we are urged to learn to see our thoughts and feelings like waves on the ocean or clouds in the sky and  how important it is to let our thoughts and feelings pass by without getting hooked, and, on the other hand, our pain comes up during meditation practice and we feel like letting it go would be like brushing it under the carpet. 

Personally I have found the middle way is good for me. Sometimes I just have to disengage from my thoughts because, if I continued with them, it would go on and on and on down the same road where I have already been 10,000 times and I just can’t do that to myself because it would be too exhausting   And make me more sad and depressed. At other times, though, I find like you that it is really good to be able to look at all these painful feelings and thoughts that arise through meditation. 

I just think that, when we allow ourselves again and again to think the same thoughts and feel the same feelings and don’t get the motivation to say stop at some point, to just into wrapped the thinking process for now, that it will keep us in the misery longer.  Does that make sense? 

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds.