When they were first diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 36 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Morning All 

I hope today is a good day for us all. 

Can I ask did anyone else like myself  that when are loved ones first got diagnosed that they started grieving then ? I seemed to grieve straight away I don’t know if it was the shock and horror to the system. I did for the first week have hope thinking he will get the better of this because he looked a well man no obvious symptoms. But then after the first week wether reality kicked in I don’t know but I went it to raw grief then. I tried my best to hide it from my man but the pain was something I’d never felt before. I couldn’t eat I’d pretend to my man I’d eaten something when I hadn’t I physically couldn’t the weight had dropped of me. I don’t know if it was raw grief I was feeling but when he passed I was just numb but also in pain looking back now I seemed to be in more pain when he was diagnosed wether it was the fact I knew I was going to lose him I don’t know. Don’t get me wrong I struggle with pain and that feeling of total loss every day but it doesn’t feel has bad when we first got his diagnosis if that makes sense 

i am petrified that one day il wake up and feel that utter horrendous pain again I could t survive that type of raw emotional pain again I am scraping the barrel now to try and stay a float so I don’t go back down.

sorry for rambling on it’s just when I read the newly bereaved post I feel they are feeling the pain I was in when my man was first diagnosed and I just pray for them although I’m still vertically new bereaved myself 4 months nr I feel the worst part of this journey we are all on was the day I realised my Man was terminal and I wasn’t going to spend my life with him the pain in even trying to think of him not with me and knowing the pain he was about to endure and suffer with the bloody disease near seen me off. 

The reason I have wrote this post because of it was raw grief I went straight into then for the newest members of our group hang on in there although it’s still bloody hard that raw grief does ease the pain isn’t as intensifying

love Jane x 

• Hi Andrea yes they seem to be getting worse I to have to hide in toilet to try and stop the tears it is so hard one minute I'm ok the next a wave of dispair comes over and your fighting back tears 

Hope your day is a bit better today 

Ian
  • Hi Carolyn I do agree the pain in losing a partner is more painfull than losing a child I have lost a son and it was painfull but my wife is like torture 

Ian
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Newb

It's almost 2 years since Paul died and it does get easier, but there are times like last night it comes back again like it was yesterday. I had this awful dream that I was with Paul asking him if our life together had been good. His face was changed, all angular and he was obviously ill. All deaths are traumatic and dreadfully upsetting. We have to get by as best as we can. My life has changed so much and will never be the same again. Love to you all x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi All, 

reading all the comments on the thread I wrote it seems the raw grief hits us all at different stages mine was definitely when my man was first diagnosed terminal. As I put in my original post the pain was unmerciful and it saddens me so many of us have been dealt this cruel hand . What is so obvious in the comments is we think oh we are feeling a tiny bit ok if we can call it that then wallop out of nowhere feel this horrendous heartache again I miss my man every beat of my heart but what I felt  when writing this thread was at least now I can read his letters or texts he’d done and il either cry or now I am beginning to smile remembering is fabulous sense of humour such a funny man. Where as when he was still here I couldn’t even look at them I couldn’t read all our declaring of love or our hopes and dreams if that makes sense because I knew our planned future was no longer going to happen. Hand on my heart I honestly don’t know how I came through that raw grief stage I’m still in pain now missing him but it’s a different type now that I’m learning to live with where as before I couldn’t function at all I hope and pray it’s not long for you all that are still in the raw grief stage that you get to the next level of grief soon where it’s not as painful and you can function a little better 

night all love Jane x

• Hi all,

I agree with you, Jane and Honey666, in saying that, even though it is getting easier with time, there are still times when it really hits you and you feel the pain like you did in the raw stage of grief whether that was with the first diagnosis or during the illness or when our loved ones died.

I have days now when I feel really good - well, not good like really happy (I don't think I can feel really, really happy) but somewhat happy or content. But then there are days when I feel very sad and lonely and miss Paul more consciously than on all the other days.

I think whar we learn over time is to function better and to cope better with the times when the pain is very strong. I personally don't think, however, that I will experience a day ever when I am really okay about my life as it is now because I do want Paul in my life and I am only half without him or something like that. He was my best friend, my man, my soul mate, my everything. Life without him is possible but it is not great if you know what I mean.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Carolyn and all,

I could relate to your post so well, Carolyn.

I feel the same. The raw grief is hitting me from time to time - this knowledge that Paul will never be back and that I will never feel his living warmth beside me, never cuddle up to him again, never hold him and be held, never laugh or cry with him, never hear his beautiful voice except on recordings, etc. - but most times I feel him in my thoughts and my heart but can function normally around that.

I will never ever take off my engagement and wedding ring. I am Paul's wife and will always be his wife. As you say, neither of us chose to end the marriage, we are still married, just that one of us is no longer here.

Love and hugs, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds.