One year

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

It is one year today since my husband died, four months after being diagnosed with a brain tumour after suffering a series of seizures at work. We had no idea he was ill until that day.

There is never a walking moment that he is not in my thoughts. Even when I am not thinking consciously about him, because of the distractions of work for example,  I feel his presence and influence. Somewhere, he is there. One thing I know - there is no shortcut. We were happy; we loved and trusted each other deeply, and the grief that I feel comes from the loss of that one, central, precious relationship.

The last year has brought many practical challenges as well as the pain of loss.  Anxiety stalks me constantly. I have caring children in their twenties, not living at home, who are grieving too. I can talk to them about their dad and know they share understanding, but I cannot burden them with worries about money or job security or problems with the house. I am alone now and it is exhausting and scary. People say I appear capable and strong - inside I do not feel it.

But. I am asking myself, what would he want me to do now? He was a kind man, someone who cared for others, was always gently spoken. He was humble, too. When treated unfairly at work, finding himself unable to challenge the situation, he saw that the most pragmatic choice was to carry on and ensure we did not lose our income. He was loved by colleagues and the people he cared for (he was a carer) and that helped him to put the attitudes of remote managers into perspective. When told his condition was terminal, he came home and let us care for him, never once showing self-pity or anger or resentment. Towards the end he told me he was at peace, something which gives me comfort now. I think he would want me to carry on in the best way I can, and to be grateful for the years we had together and the family we made. He would not want me to be bitter or self-pitying, but he knew me well and he'd understand that there are lots of times I fall down and lots of times I struggle to pick myself up again. At those times I literally imagine him putting his hand on my arm as he did many times in the car, or letting me put my hand in his, as he always did when we went for walks together.

When he was ill, I read an article in the newspaper about love for which several people of different ages and backgrounds were interviewed. One woman had lost her husband when they were both very young. She was caring for a young child alone. Asked about her feelings towards her lost partner, she said simply "He is my light". That's what I'm remembering today.

• I see no one has replied. 

Your love shines through every word. I wish you well.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Hi jj59 I am so very sorry for your loss. My wife passed away just over 4 weeks ago she had melanoma which spread to her brain, an within 3 weeks she was gone . The last words she spoke were ,please be happy, every time I think of those words I cry. I talk to her all the time asking her what should I do about one thing or another. I know she would want me to carry on in the best way I can , but it is so hard , the pain ,loneliness can’t eat and anxiety  . I have 3 adult sons and thy are grieving also . I try to hold back a little in front of them but it doesn’t always worth. I break down and cry at the slightest thing. When you have loved someone like we have and then they are taken away. It’s not fair. I often think what is the point of anything anymore, I have no future nothing to look forward to just emptiness 

I am also grateful for that years we had 43 they were full of love and happiness, and no I have nothing. 

He is my light that is nice. But I will say she. 

Hope you have a good day today 

Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • Hi JJ59,

I so loved your post because I think you describe so very well in it the situation most of us find ourselves in: living with the almost unbearable pain of having lost the one, most important, most central, most precious relationship of our lives and, at the same time, knowing that what those we have lost would want is to go on living and make the most of our lives as they are now. From your post it sounds like you are trying just that. And that's wonderful. Of course we can ask ourselves at times, "What's the point of living now?" And maybe it seems like there is none. But, at the same time, we are still here aren't we? And our partners and husbands and wives would want us to see it this way, they wouldn't want us to say, "Oh there is no poing to living. I am not going to do it anymore. And where is the point anyway?" I remember one night, shortly before Paul started Chemo, I was so down that I said to him, "I think when you are gone I'll just take my own life. I mean, what's the point when you are no longer here?" He said my comment made him very sad and that of course I would go on living and have a good life. At the time it seemed so cruel to even think about that. But now I can see that it wasn't cruel what he said to me but it was cruel what I said to him, because it is really total rubbish. We all have our time here on earth in this life, and if we all were to give up living because another person is gone, that would be... unimaginable, wouldn't it?

Paul is in my thoughts most of the time of course. I miss him terribly. I have gone through all the firsts and can't believe that I have done it. I have slowly started to build a life for myself with activities and a couple of friends around me. And I have learned to see that, whenever I feel very low, this feeling will pass and another one will come.

For you, Mike, whose loss is so recent it will probably take a while before you can feel this way. But you will. We all will.

Love to everyone

Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• hi

for me it will be a year in september. i too know the being alone and finding it scary and exhausting just trying to survive each day. if you need to talk about worries then i am here, i find sometimes people seem to think if i do im expecting them to pay for something when really i just need to air it as goes around in mind. 

life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open and you walk into the glass