I joined the club

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Sadly 1 year ago I joined the club I lost my wife from a brain tumor and I guess like many others life has been very empty and hard to cope. As my wife was old school a great cook and had my dinner on the table every-night cooking a wide variety of meals. Since her death I've been like a ship lost at sea compounded by I was too lazy to ever learn to cook. So if anyone knows off anywhere or group where I can get a few lessons on cooking it would be much appreciated. The day's are long and the nights are even longer I guess I need to get out more.

Regards

Harleyman

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Welcome to the online community and I'm really sorry to see you here and I know in my heart of hearts that you wish you weren't here either as your life would be as your normal.

Unfortunately we males (most) fall into the trap living at home our mums did the cooking, at school we were doing metal and woodwork the girls were at home economics doing cooking then we meet at nice girl get married and she cooks for us whilst we are out working, okay ladies I do know that many of you also keep working and still manage to keep the household going and including having a nice meal ready for us every night and make it look so easy.

But Harleyman as you've found we are on own and left to our own devices to put food in our bellies and need to do something about getting the food from the shop onto the plate.

You asked about cookery lessons have you thought about joining a course at your local further education college, see your local council, and getting to know the basics doing this will also see you being in the company of others, 2 birds with one stone

or

Buying a book, have a look at the Amazon store type in Cooking for dummies (don't take offence) and a list of books for beginners will come up with lots of information on how to get started in the kitchen and quick and easy recipes, if you see a book your think that'll do me have at look at a website called Wordery, other websites are available and if course bookshops and compare prices before you buy, like the ladies in our lives we have to learn how to save a few pennies.

At this stage I'm going to ask the ladies to stop reading as I'm going to give Harleyman some tips.

Now we're on our own I can begin, firstly make sure you leave your wallet at home and go to your local supermarket to the fresh! food shelves and pick up the packages of sausages, chicken, fish, vegetables and roasts and look at the labels most with have guidelines on how long to cook the item

Secondly why leave your wallet at home on you first outing simply never shop without a shopping list (to my Scittish friends, message line) and never shop on an empty belly both will see you buying things you need it called impulse buying take the advice of a seasoned impulse buyer, you want to see my food cupboard.

The only problem you'll come across bu shopping from the food shelves is that  suppliers and supermarkets don't think about the single person cooking on their own, but it's a good place to start to get the hang of it and you can start your own recipe book using the labels from the packaging then you can start shopping at the deli, fresh meat or fresh fish counter and buy in quantities to suit your needs after all who wants to eat a roast or fish for  more than 1or 2 days at a time.

Before long you'll be able to cook like Gordon Ransay without the language ( I hope!)

Ladies I know you're still here, have you picked up a few tips?

Harleyman hope this helps, keep in touch we can start to swap recipes.

Best wishes

Ian

• Hi Harleyman

Lost my wife just over two weeks ago to pancreatic cancer. Anne was old school as well. All home cooking.  And so to cooking itself. . Sainsbury, Tesco and M&S do really nice ready meals which just need heating up in a microwave. I've done my research and can find no scientific evidence to suggest they lack nourishment. I also bought a microwave steamer made by a company called Sistema.I buy prepared  frozen vegetables. For me its a bag of mixed veg. A bag of broccoli and cauliflower. A bag of spinage balls and a bag of peas.  Just put what you want in the steamer and microwave for about 4mins.All done. Saves all that boiling in water over the cooker. I've also cooked chicken breasts,  and smoked haddock in this steamer as well. If you do buy a steamer Google all cooking times. I also use the microwave to poach and scramble eggs. Check that out on YouTube. There's absolutely no need to buy a cook book and make life hard for yourself unless you choose to do this. Iceland do lovely lamb shanks already cooked and sealed in a bag of marinade and mint sauce. Just heat in the microwave and serve with your veg done in the steamer. Sorted. Come back to me if you need any further help. Us men once  spoilt by our lovely wives need to stick together.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi again Harleyman

Forgot to say in my last post. Frozen veg has more vitamins and minerals in than so called fresh. ( Just how long has so called fresh been around since it was picked ? ) Frozen veg is frozen within a few hours of picking. That's why all the nutriments are locked in.

Good eating mate. Geoff.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Hi and

If you're in to frozen meals I can recommend OAKHOUSE FOODS LTD a good selection of meals delivered frozen to your house.

Geoff you are so right a microwave is a boon and its so versatile and with a few extra pieces of equipment you can even have your full English but not so good for making toast but very quick for boiling a cup of water for your tea or coffee.

Have fun experimenting Harleyman.

Ian

• Hi Ian 

Glad I'm not the only one whose discovered the wonderment of the microwave. I forgot to tell Harleyman. Many of the supermarket ready meals can be frozen. ( But check the packet first) At the moment I have a full selection in the freezer including my favourite Indian and Chinese meals.

Cheers Geoff 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Many thanks to the good people offering great advice its much appreciated I certainly will follow up on the advice given I guess I just haft to get over that I now need shop for myself. I found myself walking around Tesco's one Saturday night at 6.30pm not knowing what I wanted and I thought what am I doing here and left without buying anything. I think one off my main problems is getting over the loneliness off being on my own. 

Harleyman    

• Hi Harleyman 

Just  wanted to add that student cookbooks are also a great source of info & generally easy to read without being patronising. Also good if you want simple, honest food. As it won’t be long before people are back at uni nows a good time to keep a look out for them, the Works book shop is worth a visit if you have one near you. 

I’m not a fan of complicated cooking myself so sometimes turn to them for inspiration- & I always double the ingredients so I can have 2 meal times sorted, with one in the fridge or freezer. Far less time consuming! 

I know how hard this is, but give it a go- you might surprise yourself. It will occupy your mind for a while if nothing else. 

Sarah xx