My husband died last week

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I have been what’s considered a lurker as I found this site and discussions extremely useful when my husband was diagnosed out of the blue with terminal stomach cancer in early December but never posted.

He was given a 3-6 month prognosis as had spread outside the stomach walls and inoperable and decided not to do palliative chemotherapy as it would not cure him and only possibly extend his life by 6 months. Some may feel that foolish not to try but he wanted to spend as much time as he could well enough to be with his family and especially his grandchildren. We found the documentary on BBC called we need to talk about death extremely helpful and the fact that he was already saying he didn’t want chemotherapy gave him the courage to go that route.

We had 5 months of quality time doing things he wanted to do with family and being able to plan and say everything to him and him to us that needed saying. He wasn’t allowed to travel but we did things in uk instead like going to London to visit his old haunts where he grew up, go on an open top bus tour, go to Cheltenham racing, go to NBA match in London and many other days out when he was well enough.

His first goal was Xmas which he made but his second goal was to make his 70th birthday on 14 June which he sadly didn’t make but we have decided to hold his funeral on that day so he sort of did make it and we can celebrate his life.

He died at home with myself and my son who flew in 2 days before from USA and our daughter and was nurses by myself and district nurses and Sue Ryder nurses in last 2 days. The positives was that he experienced no pain until 2 weeks prior when he deteriorated rapidly and as the Macmillan case worker told me cancer comes at you like a train in the final few days which it did but he was comfortable and loved by his family and the nurses who were so lovely to him and us.

Thing I didn’t know was that if someone dies at home and a doctor has seen them in last few weeks obviously no post mortem is required but you have to instruct a funeral company prior to death so that they can remove your loved one after doctor certified death and that was very distressing doing so hours before he died when i hadn’t known or chose a suitable one.

Also I am still sitting here with the hospital bed and equipment around as they couldn’t collect yet and don’t want it here or people visiting me while it’s still here.

All the nurses and Macmillan case worker disappeared and never returned and I feel kind of abandoned as surely if the caseworker planned to visit two days later and he died in between she could have still come to see me but.guess they are very busy and I did appreciate their care.

Sorry fo the long post but thought it might help and inform some of you as other posts helped me xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Hi Mel, 

Glad you have had a good day. I have just got home from the south of France I am proud of myself I went Saturday and lasted till today. It was my friends 50th birthday and we booked this last August before we was hit with Cancer. Friday night they stayed in mine and was drunk I did try to have a few with them but felt like I just wanted to be on my own. I was absolutely dreading going to France sobbed when I left my house and when I was in mid air. but I did get some sort of comfort thinking I was so close to him up in the sky. Near fell out with my friend of 45 years she’s gone on a couple of occasions oh you will move on he wouldnt want you in so much pain. I could usually blank her out when she’s in my house saying this. But saying it to me abroad and she’s drinking Was painful. I know she means no harm and thinking of me but thank god the only breavement she has suffered was her nan when she was 6. So for someone to say ul move on at such a early stage just makes me mad I hate that saying when people say oh you will eventually move on (WILL I ?) knocks me sick. So anyway end of my rant. I’m Glad I pushed myself to go even though it was a two week Holiday I lasted a few days so that’s good it’s just far to soon for me to be doing anything at the moment least I tried and that’s a massive step. Plus I didn’t want my friends worrying about me and wanted them to just have a ball they understood and was pleased I pushed myself for a few days anyway. Soon as I got home I shouted I’m home and just felt at ease again so perhaps il stay here il see. Just need to look at the memories here with foundness and love instead of this pain thinking oh he’d be doing this or that now. But I suppose that’s all part of the journey we are on x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m so sorry for your loss, it’s astounding how large the hole is when someone we love passes.

I lost my husband in October to a heart attack, he’d been living with Multiple Myeloma for 11 years, and a new drug he was trying for his cancer seemed to do damage to his heart (he had two heart attacks, exactly two weeks after he started a course of the drug)

The heart attack was a surprise, but not a shock.  In some ways I still have a hard time believing he’s passed because I couldn’t be with him at the end (I was undergoing chemo for Stage 4 Lymphoma, at the time he died I couldn’t raise my head from my pillow). Actually, no one from the family was with him, just the doctor and nurses who tried to save his life.  

This thought haunts me, but there was no way we knew he was so ill (he was down at the Mayo Clinic for testing, 90 miles away from our home)

So now as I recover (I am in remission!) every day it becomes more real that my dear husband is no longer here.  I feel your pain, I’m so sorry that you felt abandoned after your husband’s death, and that the situation was so confusing and overwhelming.  I’m glad you were able to be with him and the end, and so glad your children could be there.

Our own kids, ages 21 & 22, rose to the occasion and put together the memorial service for Gerry, arranged everything with a funeral home, and organized an at-home coffee for friends after the memorial service.  I was upstairs, sill barely able to move, but just having so many folks come to remember Gerry was a comfort.

You are not alone here, many of us are trying to figure out how to continue down our path without our significant other.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I still haven’t heard from any of the district nurses or Macmillan case worker and no information about bereavement counselling.

Been busy with my children organising the funeral on Friday which I am dreading as it feels like the final goodbye.

Went to the funeral parlour on Saturday to sit beside my husband (closed coffin) and tried hugging and kissing the coffin and can’t stop crying every day and night and the pain feels so real that makes you understand what heartache really is.

Am scattering ashes next Tuesday as my son has to fly home to USA and he has decided to take me back with him for a break and be with my granddaughter for her 2nd birthday which should distract me xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi I'll be thinking of you Friday and hoping your trip and time with family gives  you comfort. So sorry for your loss. It's all very hectic at this time and so much to do. Take care of yourself xxx

• Hi Lendial

I read that your dear husbands funeral took place on his birthday Friday the 14th June. That is also exactly how we arranged my husbands ‘celebration of life’ He died on the 1st June and would have been 62 on this birthday, the 14th, when his funeral took place.

I know what you mean about heartache - it’s overpowering.

I hope you get comfort from the trip to be with your family.  Two year olds are certainly a good distraction! xxxxxxx