A year on....

• 9 replies
  • 25 subscribers

So I’ve managed to get through the last week with the kids off  school for whitsun. To say I was dreading it is an understatement. And yet like most things it’s been a mixed bag. Some days were actually okay some not so much.

Last week was the first anniversary of losing my lovely husband, and Ive felt for weeks as if I was walking towards a storm, I couldn’t avoid it, had to face it and get through it and what to do on the day?  In the end we went with the flow, took some flowers from our garden to the cemetery and was out when the hour came round, it helped, it was a very long day with all the children reacting differently at different times and to be really honest,  I was glad to have survived it and got through it and into the next day.

It’s made me reflect on all the changes I’ve had to accept and what I’ve learnt over this first year so here goes .....

Time may move on but feelings don’t change - i’m glad to say I don’t continually repeat those last few weeks on a loop in my head so much now , but I still love him with all my heart and miss him every single day . 

That  people will continue to surprise you, some of those who were once close friends disappear completely. I’ve not heard from my husband’s family at all. And yet there are some people I hardly knew before that had become so important to me and I’m glad to have them in my life . 

I have accepted he’s really not coming back. That doesn’t mean I’ve accepted the hand he was dealt or mine for that matter. 

And finally I am beginning to see and feel I need to learn to live again, not just to exist. To actually look forward to things, to laugh and plan things like I used to, although I still find this very hard at times. 

I didn’t put a long message on Facebook. I felt we needed some privacy but I did want to acknowledge a whole year of grieving and missing him and our old lives on here. 

There are so many people that I’ve seen have recently joined this site and are suffering in pain and wondering how they will get through this and yet we do carry on all the same. Im never going to stop missing my hubby but I’m gradually learning to live alongside this awful grief. 

Thank you all of you on here who have helped me through this last year and continue to do so. You've  made it easier to keep going and I’m so grateful for the support. 

Wishing all here a good day 

Sarah xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sarah,

Lovely post. I only lost my favourite person 4 months ago and am trying to ignore (failing) key milestones.

Every best wish to you in finding whatever happiness is out there for you - for me, right now, I just focus on spending time with people I really like and frankly ignoring people who I don't!

Take care, every blessing to you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi that was a remarkably  frank post Sarah thankyou. I'm glad you have some positives and things to look forward to. I'm not at that point yet but yes your right. In my mind til death us do part love til my dying day. You sound like the day was family and your needs and private too. Best wishes 

• Hi Sussex & wife of 26 years 

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

it’s so very hard isn’t it? I am a long way from adjusting to this  new life,  we should have been getting old together. But I think that even when I don’t have the energy to carry plans out or feel like it’s too much trouble it’s progress that I am even thinking of doing things... 

I still feel married. I don’t want to feel any other way. I am getting more used to thinking of myself as a widow though so maybe what I’m trying to say really is that a year down the line I am beginning to accept it more. looking back I can see that I’ve made some progress & a year ago that didn’t seem remotely possible.

I am so very sorry for your losses both of you. And I’m in total agreement with you Sussex when you say to ignore those you don’t like!!

Take care, with love 

Sarah xx

• Hi Sarah.

I'm alittle head of you and I am so proud of myself and our children for surviving. We have had holidays, got a dog, and started to live again. I'm also contemplating sorting and giving away some of my husband's clothes. He really isn't coming back and I am able to see them now as just clothes, the memories attached remain with me.

I also have been surprised by acquaintances who are now very good friends and have been there for me. My husband's family have let him and us down massively. I have had 3 phone calls from his mother in 14 months! They were when she wanted his death cert, to tell me she was going on holiday and to tell me her sister has been ill. She never asked about me or her Grandchildren. 

We will never forget Rob and my son's are so like him it's lovely. 

Hopefully we can give hope to those struggling. We will forever be changed, wish he was here, miss him and love him but he wouldn't want us to give up and be miserable forever. 

Take care everyone 

• Ruby diamond x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sarah,

my wife died of breast cancer 2 and 1/2 years ago.  We were together 31 years.

I could have saved her. My cousin Laura who is a nurse called us up from Boston

when my wife was 40 saying she needed a mammogram at 40 because my 

wife's mother died from Breast Cancer.  The Doctor in Scotland said no mammogram

until 50.  A year later we found the lump. I sent her to Boston and she had a

radical mastectomy, radiation, and then she had the chemo in Scotland.

I could have saved my wife if I had understood the urgency of the warning and

immediately sent my wife to Boston in 2003. My wife was Stage IIb when she

found the lump in 2004. I managed to keep her alive for 12 and 1/2 years.  She died at

54.  The Grief and the Guilt are horrific, and not getting even slightly better.

Love to all.

Daniel

• Hi Sarah,

So sorry for coming in on this so late. I have been meaning to reply to your post sooner but somehow each time I decided to sit down and write a reply something else happened. So here goes:

I relate to every single point you make in your post.

I am glad you got through the week and the anniversary the way you did and that it felt right for you.

Do you also feel that something has changed a little after the anniversary? At first I thought I only had a couple of good days but that the intense pain would come back the way it had been before and that surely the first anniversary couldn't have made a difference, but somehow it has. I still feel all the same things as before, but somehow it has become just that tiny little bit easier to bear it.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Ruby Diamond 

You have every reason to be proud of yourself & your family & I’m sure Rob would be even prouder of you all. You are fighting to keep going & that’s not an easy thing to do. I’m glad you are moving forward from existing to living again. 

Sounds like you’ve made some real progress too, with your new canine addition & the holidays. They aren’t easy, I took the kids away at Easter & I had some anxiety about doing it. I wasn’t really looking forward to it but it felt the right thing to do & I felt I was sending them the message, look it’s ok to laugh, have fun & enjoy yourselves again, your dad would want that for you all. He loved his holidays...& we had an ok time actually, it was never going to be easy but we all felt better for having done it.

It’s a hard job sorting out clothes etc but I think we know when it seems the right time to do it for you. I moved things to one wardrobe fairly early on & only kept the clothes that held memories... he had loads of T-shirt’s etc that I gave away. I’m beginning to view them differently too now, as you say you keep the memories, so I may thin the collection down in time.

I also funnily enough feel a bit different about work. I always found it hard when the kids were little to leave them & go to work, although it’s only part time . My husband always felt better me doing a few hours as he was self employed, he felt it was a bit of ‘insurance ‘ in case we needed to fall back on it - oh the irony!  Anyway, over the last year I have felt on occasions, thank goodness I’ve got work tomorrow, because with the kids at school if I’m just at home the lack of structure doesn’t do me any good. 

Im so glad you can see your Rob live on in your boys. One of the hardest things for me is knowing how much my husband has missed out on since his death, he was an awesome dad always. 

Tahe care of you now

Sarah xx

• Hi Daniel 

I am so very sorry to hear about your wife. It sounds as if you both fought so hard, the unfairness of this disease is brutal. 

I feel so much for you knowing that you carry around this guilt that you could’ve changed the outcome but can any of us ever really know that for sure? Is it possible that you both may have known about it for longer than you did & yet the outcome would’ve been the same? I don’t know, but I do understand where you’re coming from.  My husband had been written off with back pain for sometime due to his job, we’d had scans but they all Centred around his spine & I will never know if they were missing what was going on & the cancer was growing just out of camera shot or whether it did just grow incredibly quickly as some cancers do, doubling in size in just a few weeks.... it was incurable at diagnosis either way. I have beaten myself up over this many times, could I have asked for different scans of tests? Would it have made a difference? but in the end I have to accept I just don’t know. 

But your love & care DID make a difference, a very real difference- it kept her going for another 12 & a half years. It was never going to be enough but it’s testament  to your love & care that you had that time together. And despite everything that’s happened, that was time that was worth having, time you had together that the cancer couldn’t take. 

Have you, would you, talk to someone about this? Guilt & grief can be so destructive & it might help you to get some perspective. You have done your very best by your wife, Im sure now she would want you to do the best by you. 

Wishing you brighter days ahead Daniel 

big virtual hugs 

Sarah xx

• Hi Mel, good to hear from you 

I was dreading the anniversary for a long time before it happened-  being our wedding anniversary too it was like a double whammy & I felt I’d gone backwards a few steps, sleeping badly, reliving things at the end last year.... I’m sure you can relate, beforehand.  I worried about the kids & how they were coping too. I accepted it was all part of it but as I said, I was glad to get through it & into the next day. Apart from the funeral it means I’ve been through everything once, although I don’t think that necessarily makes things any easier.

I do feel though that maybe it makes things less intense as you say. Maybe I am kidding myself, I guess time will tell. It feels like another slight shift & I think maybe it feels good not to have any more “firsts” to face.

I’m glad that you are feeling a little more positive. It’s a hard, painful journey we are all on. I hope in time it becomes easier for all of us here. 

Love Sarah xx