Grief is really love

• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hello everyone, It is back in December that i last posted within this group but i do read most of your messages and offer prayers for your comfort. It is now almost 4 years since i lost my wife Jean after 52 years of marriage so i do understand your feelings of grief, your loss and feelings of despair. I recently viewed the following piece on Facebook and I am wishing to share it with you.

Grief, I've learned, is really just love.

It's all the love you want to give, but cannot.

All that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes.

The lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest.

Grief is just love with no place to go.

In December i wrote that life is like a book, the first is written, full of memories, love and happy times. Not to be forgotten or hidden away but to be looked at with love and happiness. The response was so good that i am writing a shorter version here.

A second book starts after our loss and continues as we move forward in life. Some will find new partners, some may not or may not wish to. Whatever the future holds we must move forward. This is what our loved ones want, to see us moving forward with them in our hearts. and they will always be in our hearts. They do not wish us to be sad, unhappy and grieving for ever. They will be delighted to see us moving forward without guilt while keeping them dear in our hearts where they will be forever. 

I hope this will provide food for thought and give hope for the future, a future full of happiness while moving forward but never forgetting the past.

Terry Jobling. 

• Hi Terry and all,

Thank you, Terry, for sharing your thoughts with us. And, yes, indeed, it is food for thought.

I think most of us, myself included, tend to think of our grief as something "bad", "painful", "heart-breaking", "difficult", often even "problematic" and, while grief is all of those things, it is also the sign of how much we have loved. Knowing this doesn't make my grief easier, but it gives it somehow a little more purpose and gives me a little bit more courage to face my life ahead. This life ahead of me will be a life without the person Paul being physically with me, but it will be a life with him and his best intentions for me in my heart, I can carry forward what I have learned from him, what I feel is something that the world should know about him, etc.

This is what I wrote on Facebook on the day of my husband's first anniversary:

This morning, I decided that today, instead of allowing my thoughts to wander back to this time last year, I would spend the day quietly remembering the man Paul was: the beautiful person he was, his gentleness, his kindness, his open-heartedness, his love for life, his love for beauty, his love for fun, his fantastic sense of humour, his playfulness, his ability to become one with the people and situations around him, his creative mind and ability to find practical solutions to many problems of daily life (such as to make a camera stand out of bananas), his courage, his resilience, his interest in so many different things and particularly science, his talent to write, his talent to draw, his talent to learn new languages, his constant feeling that he was not good enough, his occasional wish to be left alone to come home to himself... All those things, and many more, made Paul who he was.
    Of course there have been tears today because he is gone and I miss him so much. But there has also been incredible gratitude to have had him in my life. And I know that he will always be part of me. If Paul was here now and could read this post, he would ask me, "Do you have to write all this into a Facebook post?" But it feels right. I often share about my grief. Why not share about Paul's life. The memories of him will keep him with us."

"Remembering my gorgeous, gentle, kind, loving, funny, playful, spiritual, brave husband Paul on his first anniversary today. I really miss you."

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear eltell12,

You have hit the nail smack on the head!

We grieve because we loved them and miss them in every way.

Our hearts feeI empty without them and I think your observation that they would want the best for us is the absolutely truth- If they were here they would push us down the road of happiness- and in someways maybe they are doing that in many different ways.

So I will keep that in mind when I am sad or lonely- George would not approve he would say go out and have fun, laugh, bike ride, garden etc like we did together. He would insist that I smile and be happy as I am sure that all of our loved ones would wish for all of us.

This community has been of so much help to me- I thank you.

Hugs to all,

Millie

Starting to cry less and smile more.