Panic attacks after losing Dad

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I lost my lovely Dad last month and I can’t even begin to try and find the right words to how I’m feeling and struggling with it. It was 8 weeks to the day of his diagnosis and 4 weeks of that were spent hospital with a week in intensive care, I just feel robbed. We got him back for 4 weeks after being in hospital but it was no quality of life, we had such high hopes to be able to have some nice days out but he was never well enough which was so hard to see. I spent every day with him, helping and looking after him and was there when he died also and now I really struggle to be able to think of anything else other than those final weeks and days, it was so traumatic I knew it would be tough but nothing can prepare you for it in the end. I miss him so much I am really struggling to see how this will ever feel less painful, the minute I feel a bit better I end up torturing myself with the what ifs? and the guilt sets in, why didn’t I notice earlier? Why did he not feel he could tell me there might be something wrong? 

Since he died, I’ve had 4 panic attacks. I wondered if anyone has ever experienced this after losing someone close? It really frightens me, I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before but they are all related and triggered by me thinking that’s something is wrong with me or someone else I’m close to. I’ve got 2 young children and I’m petrified of this happening to me and them having to go through it and I just can’t get past thinking about all these awful scenarios. I also have a Grandma suffering with dementia who has lost her son, she’s struggling and watching her get worse after losing my Dad is so hard, the thought of having to lose another family member sets me off into a panic. I don’t know what I’m expecting really, reassurance that I’m not the only one that has experienced this? I’d really like some advice, I don’t want to go to a doctor and I’ve read some things online but it would be helpful to know if anyone has come through a similar situation.

Thank you for reading. 

• Hi Popayah,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my dad in March this year, 4 and a half months after he was diagnosed.

He didn't seem too ill for most of the time, but he really went downhill in the last month and ended up going to a hospice for his last 3 weeks.

I was with him all day every day for his last 6 days in the hospice and slept there for 4 nights, and then was with him as he passed. I completely understand the trauma you are feeling. I keep thinking about it all and I feel panic about it happening again. Not a panic attack, bit it does panic me. 

I have a therapist who I see every week and she said I might have PTSD from it, which it sounds like might be the case for you as well. It sounds like you would benefit from speaking to a bereavement counsellor. If you really dont want to speak to your dr, you can always pay for private counselling sessions. And if your dad had any hospice care (even if the nurses came out to him are home) they usually offer free bereavement counselling sessions.

I dont know about you, but my dad is the first majorly significant person who I have lost. I think its such a shock as we know deep down that we will all pass away one day, but still dont expect it to happen. And the fact that my dad has gone is like a slap in the face that we loose people. It feels so surreal and I cry every day and think how unfair it is that he was taken from us.

I think what you are feeling and going through sounds very normal. It's a massive thing that you have just experienced, but we are all here to support each other whenever you need it. xx

• Thank you for your reply. I can relate to your thoughts completely, my Dad too is the first significant person I have lost in my life. It does feel surreal and very unfair, it makes you question life and I just feel like I could have made more of my time with him but I guess that’s the same for most people when they lose someone. I can’t stop thinking about it all, everything is a constant reminder and like you I’m the same just can’t stop crying. He did go to a hospice from his last admission to hospital, he was only there for his final three days but they were amazing. They did offer counselling and I gave them my details however haven’t heard anything. I’ve looked into getting it through my health insurance with work which I think I can do. It’s nice to hear from someone that has had a similar experience and also gone for some counselling. I hope you are doing ok, I seem to be so up and down at the moment, thank you for getting in touch xx

1. Struggling with anxiety  after  losing my friend and step grandad to cancer