Lost my father in November 2020. Struggling with health anxiety.

• 6 replies
  • 21 subscribers

hi, I Lost my father in November 2020 to lung cancer, he was just 51 when he died. In December I started feeling sharp pains in my groin and leg. I went to the doctor in December he physically examined me and said everything was fine physically likely down to stress/grief. The pains went away for a few weeks and I felt better. I seen symptoms for cancer and slowly the pains came back. After a few weeks of the ‘pains’ I went back to the doctor. She said the same as the previous doctor abs also carried out a physical examination and blood tests and urine tests. Everything was fine yet the pains still pests me now. The pain comes and goes with no pattern, I cannot always identify exactly where the pain comes from and some days are better than others. Some time I feel totally fine but I know I will feel the pain again. I have always had some health anxiety in particular about testicular cancer,  so I believe losing my dad has maybe increased the anxiety and is  making me imagine the symptoms to manage my grief. In particular the symptoms seem to be in the area where I have always had some anxiety about. 

I constantly worry about what is causing the pain and when I will next feel it. The doctor recommended having a councillor to see if that would help. It is exhausting worrying about it and I have not been myself for weeks because of stressing about it. Hearing other people’s stories helps me relax and realise that the pains really are caused by my health anxiety but it is also easy to overreact and think it something sinister.

• Hi Semco,

I’m so very sorry for your loss & send u love & hugsHearts️

I can totally understand where you’re coming from as grief seems to make us consider our own mortality. Suddenly we realise that actually shit does happen so it’s harder to be rational. 
    I lost my Mum to lung cancer 2 months ago and since her diagnosis 2.5 years ago I thought I had cervical cancer (which turned out to be an infection) but at the time i even crudely laughed to myself about the prospect of Mother-daughter Chemo as it felt so real. Even now im currently awaiting MRI results for breast cancer screening. 
    So I think it’s ok & normal to feel the worry but also so important to keep getting checked out. 
    I personally plan on having counselling when I feel ready, and wonder  if your doctor is right, that perhaps it may benefit you too?

I wish u all the very best, and send u lots of love & positivity xox

• Hi Semco,

This is the second ever reply I have made as a new joiner so hello. I kind of understand where you are coming from, I have had health anxiety for as long as I can remember due to childhood into adult health stuff that has been missed and caused issues. Aside from those actual health issues, i have found that I worry and assume the absolute the worst whenever anything feels a miss. The symptoms I feel usually go as soon as I have a Drs appointment, making me feel like a bit of a fool. Health anxiety isn't fun or for attention and despite what some people might think it isn't something that you can easily control. The constant worry at every sharp pain, change in temp, headache that has your mind racing is quite frankly exhausting. Coupling that with a very real situation you dealt with with your Father and the young age he was it is no wonder why you feel like you do. I do think that counselling is a good idea because it will help you get to the route cause of your overall anxiety but at the same time you are the only person who is fully in tuned with you, you know what feels right and what doesn't so if you feel something is off then be safe rather than sorry. I think if you do speak to people, doesn't have to be counselling if you don't want to go that route (i'm trying to encourage myself to try it out) then you will start to feel better. Our fears start to have a bit less of a hold over us when we verbalise them, I have found that even with the health anxiety. Overall just make sure you are around people who you can talk to when you start to get nervy about your health, people who won't dismiss you out of hand and who understand that the fear of being sick is absolutely terrifying. If you ever want to chat, i'm here x

• Thanks for the reply, the doctor has got me on the list for CBT to help with the health anxiety. You’re right it is extremely exhausting, I have had 2 physical check ups which have been fine with the doctors but then a couple of weeks later I think I feel something different physically which sets it off again. The pain’s can disappear  for a few hours which makes me think I am fine but can be back the next day.  I thought I was dealing with my grief well but I think this is how I it is really affecting me. 

• Thanks, the doctor has got me on the list for CBT to help with my health anxiety. Sending you positivity. 

• Same, sending you all the positive thoughts. If you ever need to talk i'm here. I find it's easier to talk to strangers because there are no expectations, no commitment. Say what you want and then if you don't want to talk to that person again, you just don't.  CBT is amazing BTW and I wish you the best xx

• Hi Semco, 

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss of your dad last November.

I lost my dad in March 2019 aged just 63 years old.

I'm still struggling with my dad not being here as I still have his mobile phone number in my mobile and I refuse to delete it.

When my dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer back in October 2018, I had to ask my doctor during in my medication review for my antidepressants, if he could increase the dosage as I was struggling to keep my depression under control. I had already told.The doctor about my dad and the doctor said that he would increase the dosage of my medication.