Hi

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi, I just want to tell you why I'm here as a new member of the group.

My 20 year old son died in Dec 2011 of AML (leukaemia). I know it's quite a while ago but I feel I haven't really grieved properly yet. I grew up with:"Pull yourself together!" So I have done just that for the last 9 years. It's hard to break this but I feel I have to but don't know how.

My husband and I have also a daughter who is married and lives in a different part of the country.

That discribes me in a tiny nutshell. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Elizabeth,  you have just described me.  My mum died in 2016 and I haven't grieved properly either.  I feel I am struggling with the acceptance.  It has come to the fore-front that I have never dealt with the grief properly because I am about to separate from my husband because I have shut him out.  It has made me realise that I have become a very angry/hard to live with person.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That is so so sad, Purplepassion! I am really sorry to hear that you are about to separate from your husband. 

So what are we going to do about our grieving/non grieving?

• FormerMember

I need to deal with it, it has been too long. I thought about researching couselling local to me. I dont think there are any groups because of covid. I hope you are able to talk to you family. Have you tried anything else too?

• FormerMember

That's a good idea to look for counselling. A friend of mine went to counselling sessions at her local hospice. Pre-covid time.

I attended the GriefShare course which was so good but too short (for me). I needed more than that.

Fortunately I can talk with my husband but he seems as needy as I am. Otherwise the rest of the family doesn't seem to understand and I can't expect them to either.

• FormerMember

It sounds like I have a mountain to climb and cant imagine feeling any different at the moment but I must try. Wishing you all the best with your grieving journey. 

• FormerMember

Thank you very much. 

I hope you will find the help that you need. And who knows, it might help you and your husband together in the long run. All the best to you!!