The Power of Pets

• 5 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Here's my lovely two! They keep me going through my recovery. I've no choice but to get on with it and get out each day with them, even if it's only a short walk and it's done me the power of good mentally and physically.

I've always been passionate about nature and didn't do well being grounded after my op. Taking the dogs for little walks as soon as I was able, seeing and hearing the wildlife, the river, the trees I believe has really aided my recovery. At first I couldn't even manage to wear my binoculars, too heavy but that also makes me realise now that I can, how far I've come!

Initially I worried how the dogs would cope without their usual walks but my op was back in the summer in the heatwave and they were happy to chill in the garden. Then as I got more mobile they were just happy to be out with me, doing what I could.

So my point is, aren't our pets amazing! They just adapt and live in the moment. No need for explanations or excuses, they just know. They give you that feeling of grounding and “normality” that having cancer completely takes away from you.

• Hi  

Your dogs are lovely, they look like they are full of life and very active. I love walks and nature too. I used to run and did 10k and half marathons. I can't do that now due to damaged hips but I still get out on walks. I don't have a dog though, I have a budgie (he doesn't come on walks though haha).

Enjoy your walks, long may it continue.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Thank you sistermoon. I'm so glad you can still get out on walks to get your fill of nature too, I'm so sorry to read in your profile of all that you're going through.

Yes like you I used to run 10ks and competed in agility with the dogs but then the rug gets pulled out from under us with this cancer milarky. I had a budgie too when I was a teenager, (called Mork if you remember the series haha) and he was such a character, really friendly, loved a fuss, came out of his cage with me and lived years and years. I'm sure he would've been quite happy to sit on my shoulder and go for a walk! Great company. Budgies deserve a photo call aswell :) x

• Mork and Mindy! It was great. Your Mork sounds much like my Gerry. I've done a post on him just now.

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Haha yes loved that series! I only just saw your other post and lovely pic of Gerry after I'd replied to this one. Yes Mork used to do all those things too, loved a pair of glasses to tap! But never talked. Maybe Mork was actually Mindy?! haha

• What beautiful, happy looking dogs and it's brilliant to hear how they have helped you with your recovery. 

Thank you so much for sharing!

Steph
    Online Community Officer