Is there a Bowling Green in Heaven ?

• Oncologist update

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So today we met with Dr Hosney Yosef our Oncologist at Ross Hall. Before we got there today I had done a bit of research on him and as well as having an OBE in light of services to cancer, he had also graduated from the University of Cairo in 1965. I have no idea what age Dr Yosef is but I joked with him asking why he hadn't retired. He just said that is was because of the shortage of staff in Scotland - wow I thought…

• Oncologist Today

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So the last couple of days have just been another few loops of the rollercoaster that Carol and I seem to be permanently attached to these days. Saturday I took my regular visit to Danny's the hairdresser in Uddingston for my three week tidy up job. It's unusual, in fact it never happens, that I visit the barber and can't get a seat. The shop was full of kids and parents and there was no where to squeeze in so I stood…

• Almost a normal day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

When I think about the people I know who may be interested in the current situation I start to lose count. In all honesty I couldn't really tell what the interest level might be but I think about the Bowling Club membership, the multiple jobs I had, my friends and extended friend network, both mine and Carol's families, neighbours and acquaintances over the years, the amount of people I probably need to keep up to date…

• Final Staging

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So its T+7 days since I was told that I had cancer. I was expecting to see my surgeon Dr Stuart on Friday however I got a phone call last night to come in to Ross Hall and see him this morning. Carol and I travelled in through the rush hour to get there for 8:30 and met Dr Stuart again, we were there for around an hour. Again I have to say what an awesome man Dr Stuart is. Again this was a session of devastating news…

• It's not that drastic yet I know.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ok, so it's T+6 days since I was told I had Oesophageal cancer and I'm already talking about heaven. I get it, it's not at the point yet but in reality, in order to deal with my situation I have had to accept my own mortality and the chance that I may be looking for a bowling green in the sky. Let me begin ... 

I'm 46, live with my loving wife Carol, married almost 20 years and we have no cats, kids or dogs…