Final Staging

2 minute read time.

So its T+7 days since I was told that I had cancer. I was expecting to see my surgeon Dr Stuart on Friday however I got a phone call last night to come in to Ross Hall and see him this morning. Carol and I travelled in through the rush hour to get there for 8:30 and met Dr Stuart again, we were there for around an hour. Again I have to say what an awesome man Dr Stuart is. Again this was a session of devastating news yet both Carol and I came out of the hospital feeling positive, it's only now that the news is starting to sink in. 

To recap, I have a lump under my arm as well as the abnormality in my abdomen on top of the obvious Cancer in my Oesophagus. The theory was that by doing a biopsy on the thing under my arm this would essentially home in on the problem. If it was the same cancer, then the planets technically align and we get to a proper staging. And so it was that Dr Stuart told us today that the lump under my arm is indeed linked to the cancer in the Oesophagus and thus we are now taking about Stage 4. Don't google it, the prognosis for Stage 4 Oesophageal cancer is pretty bad. 

On a positive note however there is no spread to organs, bloods are ok and cancer treatment of lymphatic systems is fairly common with high success rates. I am healthy, have no real food swallowing issues and have some youth on my side. 

So were are here again. As Dr Stuart says, it's like shifting sands and you just need to take it one bridge at a time. The case was presented to the MDT team at the Royal infirmary who I now understand are the 'Governance' function of it all doing the paperwork. Dr Stuart is in the process of arranging a session with and Oncologist for early next week with the hope of starting chemotherapy as soon as possible. 

It's been a rollercoaster 10 days and I'm sure it doesn't end here. I've had real problems sleeping and am a bit of an emotional wreck at times and just can't say how amazing Carol has been through the all the various trials so far. Have no idea where she gets the strength. I had a call with Dr Kumar at the surgery today to talk about the sleeping, the pain I sometimes have through the night with the lump under my arm and the feelings of depression. I will be on pills for all of these on top of the pills I currently have for Acid and vitamins - I guess this is only the beginning. 

Anonymous
  • Allan, I know that you can't ignore the statistics but in my case a 57 year old man going through the Ivor Lewis procedure for oesophageal cancer the survival rates are abysmal. I did think at one time prior to surgery what's the F*****g point of putting myself through all that ! An operation I might not survive ( being a smoker for 45 years and getting a lung collapsed for the 8 hours surgery) what would my quality of life be etc. In my case I had not had a healthy lifestyle, I had lost a lot of weight but I couldn't swallow just about anything including liquids. So my options were limited, 9-12 months with stents put in my gullet to allow me to swallow. So despite the shit statistics I had the surgery on the 3rd October discharged 15th consultant surgeon amazed at how well I was recovering. Statistics still shit so I don't bother with them anymore, I take each day as it comes, I remember news reports over the years saying the average family had 2.4 children. I'm still waiting to see .4 of a child ! I have also found my wife to be amazing in dealing with the situation. I wish you well my friend and eat as much as you like while you can because it's when you can't you realise just how much enjoyment you have when eating. You will have down days so enjoy the good days try to stay as positive as you can, it really does make a difference. Wishing you and your family all the best.

Kind regards, Frank

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

Seems like yesterday the shit hit the fan for me and today I got my last chemo.

As Frank said above stats are good but they are also bad so try your best to stay off Google.....which is very hard.

I was diagnosed with cancer while I was pregnant at the beginning of the year, unfortunately we lost the baby due to 2 major surgeries I required and ive now done 12 cycles of chemo (7months). Once the cancerous tumer was removed the doctors weren't sure whether it was bowel or ovarian but at an MDT meeting they agreed to treat me for bowel as it is the most likely. So I have a Cancer they are not sure where to place or which stage to grade it. But all a long my family and especially my husband have been my rock but never underestimate the strength inside you or your body which is awesome, it just keeps trying to recover no mater what they through at it.

As you say the docrors are amazing, true Heros. Get all your facts from them, not the Internet. Try and not compare yourself to anyone else as everyone one is different, every Cancer is different, the way people react to treatment is all different. I hate using the Cancer slogan but it is very true.... Everyone is on a different journey.

I wish you and your family all the best, never lose that positive attitude that is what has got me to the end of my treatment and no nasty tumers have returned. There is always a silver lining, just make your good days great and your bad days good.

Cheryl

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

Seems like yesterday the shit hit the fan for me and today I got my last chemo.

As Frank said above stats are good but they are also bad so try your best to stay off Google.....which is very hard.

I was diagnosed with cancer while I was pregnant at the beginning of the year, unfortunately we lost the baby due to 2 major surgeries I required and ive now done 12 cycles of chemo (7months). Once the cancerous tumer was removed the doctors weren't sure whether it was bowel or ovarian but at an MDT meeting they agreed to treat me for bowel as it is the most likely. So I have a Cancer they are not sure where to place or which stage to grade it. But all a long my family and especially my husband have been my rock but never underestimate the strength inside you or your body which is awesome, it just keeps trying to recover no mater what they through at it.

As you say the docrors are amazing, true Heros. Get all your facts from them, not the Internet. Try and not compare yourself to anyone else as everyone one is different, every Cancer is different, the way people react to treatment is all different. I hate using the Cancer slogan but it is very true.... Everyone is on a different journey.

I wish you and your family all the best, never lose that positive attitude that is what has got me to the end of my treatment and no nasty tumers have returned. There is always a silver lining, just make your good days great and your bad days good.

Cheryl

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Allan

Just heard your news today and read the blog just now.   I simply can't thing of anything sensible or of value to write (I'd have a lot of money if i got a penny for every time I've pressed the backspace key).

I'm not spiritual person, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and I'll be passing on as many positive vibes as I can.

Corny as it sounds, if i can do anything at all please shout.

I wish you the very best.

Alistair and Beck x