My journey

• Time for an update?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

May I first start with some bad news. My Mum, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year, unfortunately died. She had been very poorly for the past 3 months. Her cremation, in Yorkshire, was a lovely opportunity to celebrate her life and the weather didn’t let us down. My brother and I intend to take her ashes to Whitby where she had some happy times with my late father.

Can I also say a huge thank you to…

• Doesn't time fly when you're having..............

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It’s 3 years to the day that I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I asked the doctor how long I would live if I didn’t receive any treatment, the answer was 6 months to a year.

So I’ve already had 2 years of ‘extra time’ and hopefully a few more. In that time I’ve seen my eldest son get married and I’ve now got a beautiful granddaughter. I’ve been on holidays both in the UK and Europe. I’ve been to numerous…

• Here we go again!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

We’re back on the treadmill. I’m now on cycle 3 (out of 4) of Irinotecan by IV followed by 14 days of Capecitabine. This has gone largely side effect free. I’ve had a bit of nausea, but the major issue has been fatigue. There have been days when I’ve just wanted to sleep.

I’ve also completed 5 sessions of radiotherapy on my sciatic nerve. The process was very easy. The only issue I had was that…

• Update/MerryChristmas/Happy New year

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I started writing this quite a while ago as an update, then it was a Merry Christmas message, so Happy New Year.

There has been an awful lot going on but it’s no excuse. I’ve sat down in front of the laptop on many occasions but just haven’t had the motivation to write anything. For this I apologise.

Well what’s happened.

Firstly, I must mention the birth of my granddaughter Eadie. I know I’m biased…

• Up to date

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had my meeting with my oncologist. It is a different doctor to the one I had previously, but I’ve seen so many doctors in the past two and a half years they do tend to blur.

The diagnosis is that I have 2 metastases on my liver and a lesion near my prostate and one near my left psoas muscle. No different to my initial diagnosis. But now I have a treatment plan. I am due to have 4 cycles of Irinotecan plus capecitabine…