Up to date

4 minute read time.

I had my meeting with my oncologist. It is a different doctor to the one I had previously, but I’ve seen so many doctors in the past two and a half years they do tend to blur.

The diagnosis is that I have 2 metastases on my liver and a lesion near my prostate and one near my left psoas muscle. No different to my initial diagnosis. But now I have a treatment plan. I am due to have 4 cycles of Irinotecan plus capecitabine. Irinotecan by iv on day 1 followed by 14 days of Capecitabine tablets then a week off then start again.

I had a number of issues with cannulas during my last iv chemo in 2016, the veins in my hands were shot to pieces, so I requested a PICC line. This was inserted, and I had my first iv with no problems. I had no reaction to the Irinotecan. However, I had a massive skin reaction to the dressing on the PICC line. It was very messy. So much so that my oncologist thought I may have had an infection and postponed my second cycle by one week. I didn’t have an infection and the PICC line was removed.

I was quite anxious when I finally had my iv for cycle 2. Fortunately, the veins in my hands had made a miraculous recovery, plus the oncology nurse was fantastic. I didn’t feel a thing.

So, I’m now in the tablet phase of cycle 2 due to finish this Friday. So far, apart from the skin reaction, the only side effects I have experienced have been slight nausea immediately after the iv and bouts of tiredness. I have noticed that my hair is thinning slightly. But having very little hair to start with no one notices.

I asked my oncologist whether the lesion near my left psoas was the cause of the issues with my left leg. I got an emphatic no. The lesion would be too small to cause these issues. This backs up the opinion of the physiotherapist I saw in June. I have an appointment with the neurology department next Monday for a nerve conductivity test and a muscle test. Lots of electrodes being inserted into my skin and muscles. A certain amount of discomfort is expected but if it shines some light on what has been happening with my leg then it’ll be worth it.

My leg is having more of an effect on my life at the moment than my cancer. But my leg won’t kill me.

I have now bought an automatic car so I can drive without a left leg. This plus the fact that I’m okay with my chemo have prompted me to look at my options for returning to work. I do miss it.

Bit of a tangent but I feel I should say something about Rachael Bland who died yesterday. I, as well as many others, have listened to the podcasts she made with her 2 friends. These have been truly inspirational. If you haven’t listened to them please do. They talk about subjects that many of us try to avoid. Their discussion about death is funny, sad, informative and thought provoking. Thank you Rachael.

I’ve also been out and about to a few places. I went to another music festival in Oxfordshire. Again camping but this time instead of hobbling around I hired an electric scooter. It was expensive but given layout of the festival sight much needed. Typically the heatwave we have experienced all summer ended the day before the festival started. It was cold in the evenings and we had the obligatory torrential downpour fortunately after we managed to set up camp. An enjoyable few days. Incredibly hard work but to see and hear Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys performing ‘Pet Sounds’ was incredible!

As part of the scooter hire I had access to the disabled showers. A godsend given the temperature and rain. But as usual not everything went completely to plan. The floor of the shower was very slippery and I managed to have a massive fall. Fortunately my head bouncing of a chair managed to break my fall but I then landed on my shoulder. There was that awful few seconds when I thought I might have broken something but luckily I only had massive bruising.

I also joined a few of my friends at the Peterborough Beer Festival. Now on balance perhaps going a few hours after having my iv Irinotecan wasn’t the best of ideas. But I’ve been to the PBF every year since 1995 and cancer isn’t going to stop me. It wasn’t as raucous as other years but we had a great couple of days.

And some good news. I’m going to be a Grandad! My first grandchild, a little girl, is due at the end of October. I can’t wait and I’m already thinking of ways I can spoil her.

So that’s me up to date (I think). Next week I have a number of hospital appointments and hopefully the start of cycle 3 of my chemo.

One step at a time.  

Anonymous