The Singing Biker

• Debulk done. Decisions, decisions.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had the debulk of my palate above the obturator. Two weeks since the op and I'm recovering well.

The eye surgery has yet to be arranged, but I'm now having second thoughts...

Should I go for the BIG debulk (9+ hour op) which would include the left eye removal but also would take out as much as possible of the cancer throughout my sinuses? This would also require reconstruction of the missing cheek bone, probably…

• Facial changes and worries about bone loss

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So far, I've mainly blogged about singing and biking. This time, it's about the cancer situation. I have some palliative surgery soon, and I figured it might be good to record how things go.

I have cancer in my sinuses and behind my left eye. Since the cancer returned in 2015, the eye has gradually been pushed forward, losing its mobility. Because of increasing double vision problems caused by the eye's limited…

• Choral event at Newhaven Fort, 9-11 June

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Earlier this year, through a community choir mailing list I'm on, I received an invitation to take part in something quite special.

As part of the WWI commemorations a performance called "Refrain" has been composed for local male singers. It's already been performed at Richmond Castle and on Merseyside, and there is one more location at which I am taking part: Newhaven Fort in East Sussex, on 9-11 J…

• Long ago and far away, part 2

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This post explains the "singing" part of the blog title.

When I received my terminal diagnosis (1 to 10 years) in May 2015 I think I reacted like a lot of people. I felt my life was over, as if I was as good as dead. My oncologist saw this in me and suggested I go on one of the Odyssey weeks that run a few times a year. I had a look at the Odyssey website and confirmed I would like to have my name put forward…

• Long ago and far away, part 1

FormerMember
    FormerMember

At the age of 56 I returned to motorcycling after 30+ years.

What brought this on, I hear you ask.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you can. I've always pined for a bike,almost got one several years back, but now I figure I can justify it, thanks to the cancer. That seems a weird thing to say, but I think it's true.

Cashed in some pension and bought the bike, a Ducati Scrambler "Icon", 803cc.

I got the…