The Singing Biker

• Song: Take Me Up The Tyne

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Another song for your listening pleasure (?!)

A few months ago I borrowed a CD of a choir called Sine Nomine of music they sang while on tour in 1994 and 1995. On that CD is a song called "Take Me Up The Tyne" which has found its way into my heart. I love it's simplicity and the sense of home and belonging that it conveys. The singing style is so gentle. I listen to the song most days, during my breakfast-time singing…

• Song: Love Is Teasing

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's been a while. I'm still getting a lot of enjoyment and life from my singing activities and related social connections. I honestly don't know where I'd be without it.

I'm off on a two-day singing retreat next weekend with some lovely people from the choir I go to every week. Really looking forward to that.

One of the things at that weekend is a chance to perform something for the others' entertainment…

• Singing, expressing the unexpressible

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've mentioned that I play the ukulele. It's become one of life's pleasures. I have no formal musical training and it has been quite challenging to learn to play *and* sing at the same time.

I have a few songs on the go (learning and improving) at the moment, and one I love is Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". I sing it in a gentle style at the high end of my vocal range and with a very simple ukulele strum..…

• A biker with cancer is still a biker

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is a sort of special.

It's 12 months since I got my motorcycle.

I've mentioned the bike in previous posts but, for me, there's one thing special about having it. It has given me a longer-term view of my remaining time on this planet.

I generally have trouble imagining myself more than a few months down the road. This isn't just because of the terminal cancer (I was given 1 to 10 years in 2015). It's…

• 5 months later...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, it's February 2018 and the decision (back in September) about what surgery to have went in favour of the simpler eye removal op. The technical term is "evisceration" which means removing the innards, e.g. when gutting a fish. Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

I had the eye op in November, stayed overnight and was pleased to be back to relatively normal within a week. They gave me a temporary eye disk but…