Coping with Bladder Cancer

• Past the treatment and now subject to regular reviews

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is nearly 3 weeks since I had the TURBT operation.  Ten days ago I received the promised phone call from a Macmillan Nurse giving me the results of the ultrasound and the histology of the tumour tissue that was removed in the operation.  The ultrasound was done mainly to check that there were no growths in the kidneys or the ureters (the tube joining the kidneys to the bladder) and that the bladder was fully emptying…

• Following the TURBT operation

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is now 2 days since I had the operation to remove my bladder tumour.  Passing urine is difficult but becoming easier and not too painful and I seem to be going to the loo more frequently than before, but that all seems to be normal.  Both nights so far I have had to get up three times in the night to pee.  I had a sore throat which comes apparently from them putting a tube down the throat during the operation to help…

• Having the operation - TURBT

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Two days ago I went into Harrogate Hospital to have my bladder tumour removed by a process abbreviated to TURBT - Trans Urethral Resection of Bladder Tumour.  Had to get there by 7.30 am and I was the first of three on the list.  All went well and I was able to leave the same day about 6.30 pm.  I decided to opt for a general anaesthetic although a spinal one was an alternative.  I was put under the anaesthetic and came back…

• Having a cystoscopy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have had a fortunate life of good health up to now.  Never smoked, drank moderately and take plenty of exercise, mostly mountain walking with some cycling.  Out of the blue my urine turned brownish-red one day in January 2017.  I let this go for a couple of days and then went to my doctor, taking a sample of urine with me.  The doctor was able to test the urine and confirmed that I had blood in it.  He referred me to the…