Pat's Carcinoid Blog

• The final Blog

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Pat finally succumbed to all his illnesses on April14th 2015. It has been a long and often painful journey but he is at peace at last. He was superbly nursed through the end of life phase with good pain relief. I was with him at the end, which was peaceful and I am now grievng and will keep my promise to him to get on with my life. I will love him as long as I live.

• Still hanging in there

FormerMember
    FormerMember
    I realised that it is some time since I last put an update on my blog. Pat was diagnosed with Epilepsy to add to the list last November. We got through Christmas and Pat's 68th birthday. He continues to decline and is wonderfully nursed at the home. Our only problem is that he has frequent hospital visits with blocked catheters and Urinary Tract Infections that canot be dealt with at the home. This involves a nineteen…
  • A safe place

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Pat went into a nursing home on 28th June. Such were his needs that it was not possible to have him home. I see him every day and we spend quality time together despite the fact that he cannot speak. Many years together make non verbal communication possible.It was a very hard decision for us all. 

He now has a new GP from the surgery next door to the home which is 7 miles away. This doctor is prepared to give the Octreotide…

• Continuing care

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Pat has now plateaued. He had his Octreotide injection on the ward yesterday and was given Morphine beforehand at my request. I phoned this am and he had a comfortable night.

He is doubly incontinent, totally paralysed on the right side and cannot speak, but understands. He is not expected to improve further. Although his medical need has gone from not needing to be in hospital to now needing to due to increased pain…

• Still fighting

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Pat is still stable but needs an intensive amount of nursing and medical care.  They will be coming to the ward in just over a week to give the next Ocreotide injection for the Neuro Endocrine Tumour. 

Thoughts are beginning to turn to long term care and I have broached this with him today. Having said this, his heart is failing and it is not longer possible to consider a pacermaker, so anything could happen. One day at…