2011 nearly 2012 or is it Victorian Times?

3 minute read time.

Tonight I am very angry, so angry I dont know where to start.

My husband was supposed to have a cafeter in yesterday, when I left today he still hadnt got one.

He was soaking wet and had been for some time when I got there. He is semi-awake, sometimes he trys to get a bottle but doesnt manage.

Because he is very uncomfortable to be moved around, he is naked lying on his bed with just a sheet over him. He is in and out of sleep,but trys to use a bottle, no curtains around because as I said hes not really with it.. He is in a 6 bedded ward! Where the hell is the Dignity in that? If he knew........

He did manage a couple of sentences today about the Dr telling him about his scan results and that its bad news,that the cancer is in his bones etc. and that if I was in before he went off Duty he would tell me too. I wish I hadnt told his own Dr not to tell him the implications of the raised calcium in his blood, his Dr. and I present would have been so much kinder.

Its a good job that my husbands lovely Dr explained all to me on Thursday before he went in an Ambulance to Hospital. I did not see the Dr at the hospital needless to say.

My husbands Dr had said that it would be safer for my husband to be in Hospital over the week-end as I wouldnt be able to contact anyone as its another Bank Holiday. If he was at home, he would be clean and dry.

I went to the Nurses desk,and said where is  is the Dignity in that, that is not right. Its not fair on him or the other patients. Yes we know, this is the Dr you need to speak to, but she didnt know he needed one! She then told me this is the problem at week-ends there are only 2 Registras on for the whole of the Cancer Wards, they had to deal with the poorly ones first, and then get around to the ones like my husband.

I have even been asked today wether I will be having my husband home or will he be going into a Nursing Home. Hang on a minute, the roller coaster is going far too fast now, I am struggling to catch up. I was still hoping he was going to be able to walk out of there, be alright for a while and.......

I am writing this as its a New Years Eve that I know I will never forget. I am sitting at home with just me and the dogs, hoping so much that there will still be time to make some more happier memories.

This is 2011, very nearly 2012. What on earth happend to the sick and elderly being treated with Respect, Kindness, allowing them the Dignity they deserve. Nurses and Drs do not have the time because they are filling in forms, they are under staffed etc etc. Its wrong its so very wrong.

What ever happened to the basic principles of Nursing.

I am not sure that I should have put this on the general site, perhaps it should be on Carers site, but why are we all allowing this  to happen. One Nurse said today, I would do it myselft if I could, but I cant,we have to wait for a Dr. My husband would have his dignity, he would be clean and dry .

My thoughts and best wishes to eveyone out there with cancer and their carers, on this New Years Eve.

respect     xxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh I love a day out! Of course I don't mind coming with you.... i've got my snuggly blankets, tea pot (might evenpossibly contain gin) and chocklit. Oh and giggles and hugs galore. So lets go. Oh I'm not getting dressed today so hope you don't mind me coming along in my pyjamas?

See, I said you were a nut job like us haha. 

If you have ever seen The Room, you will know I have a door and am not afraid to use it... so let battle commence! Glad the district nurse seems to be on the ball so here's to fast tracking and getting him home soon

i wanted to be a doctor when I was younger and days like this, I wish I had studied maths instead of beer glasses so I could get in my car and come round to you and fit that blinkin catheter myself!

Good Luck and stand strong and proud and remember you are never alone cos right behind you are a  bunch of loonies grinning and hugging and cheering you on! If you feel wobbly, look behind you and there's me going whooohooo hiyah!

Go get em girl!

Little My xxx  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi respect,

you have my heart felt sympathy, to find yourselves in that situation is disgraceful and puts thehospital to shame, its no way to leave anyone but to have to chase the nurse beggars belief.

i hope you get the show of respect your husband deserves.

all our thoughts and wishes to both of you, big hugs joe xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi respect,

you have my heart felt sympathy, to find yourselves in that situation is disgraceful and puts thehospital to shame, its no way to leave anyone but to have to chase the nurse beggars belief.

i hope you get the show of respect your husband deserves.

all our thoughts and wishes to both of you, big hugs joe xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, Im back. Lovely picnic Little My! Hic! Thank you for coming to the Hospital with me. When hubby was asleep, I  thought of your messages, and smiled.! 

I wish you could feel my support for you as much as I felt your support today.

When I reached the Hospital, I felt like I was going to Hyper-ventilate, I havent done that for ages. Any way took some very deep breaths and marched in (with my 2 trusty friends)

As I walked along the corridor, there was a totally different feeling in there today. It was calm. Mainly different staff.

My husband was quite chatty today, and we managed to have a good talk. I had got some things my 2 daughters needed me to tell him. I took the opportunity as he was happy, smiling and so different to yesterday to tell him. I had thought last night that perhaps we wouldn't have any more conversations.

The catheter is still not done, but they have left him more comfortable shall we say than yesterday, so that is an improvement. Still no pj's but I think that is because he found it uncomfortable to be moved too much yesterday, they have not moved him so much today.

Anyway Dr My, the catheter hasn't been done as he, quote, has an infection already and they didn't want to give him another one, unquote. Thats different, when he went in with c-dif they did it immediately!

On his notes, as I had a look, there is a sticky note clipped on the front page saying, Please Insert Catheter.

I bet tomorrow if more qualified people back in, he will have a catheter. Watch this space.

Hope all reading this have had a good New Years Day. I know LM found it boring although I took her out for the day!

Thank you again for keeping me going last night, I really don't know how I would have coped without.

Little My I have visions of you sitting there marking my work! Sometimes as you have noticed I cant spell and I can't always be bothered with punctuation, but I am better with numbers.

I  can only be put on the naughty step, and you are right I have always been a non conformist, not one to follow the crowds.!

Lots of Hugs

Respect

xxxxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there,

Just got into bed and having a sneaky peak on here before I go to sleep... (such a lightweight these days!) and was wondering how you got on today... pleased to see your post there!

So glad you sound a bit brighter and hubby was a bit brighter too and you managed to have a chat. I bet his catheter will be in tomorrow too!

The day out with you was fun of course... the marking books was boring boring boring and I have a confession to make... shhh don't tell, but I can't spell! Actually I tell the older kids cos I think it is good for them to know that you can be clever even if you can't spell very well. So don't worry there, I won't be marking your work hahaaa.

As you may have noticed, my mind goes 10 to the dozen and I can type just about as quick but that does leave a lot of typos at times so you don't notice mine and I won't notice yours haha.

That's what macland is good for you see... we hold eachothers hands over the bumps in our journeys. I know I am silly etc but its through the support of you lot that I have coped so far, so we do it for eachother as we all have times we need our hands held and a hug and yes, I do know that you will be there for me if I need my hand holding at some point... (which no doubt I will). And always remember whenever you feel that wobble, behind you is a Little My in a red dress and a wicked smile backing you up! Possibly armed with a piece of door too :)

Cruton (scraton) and I raised a glass in' the Room' today to growing old disgracefully. You may have guessed I am a bit of a nonconformist myself perhaps so I raise a glass to you and your hubby and to walking the opposite way to the crowds!

Bump! oops sorry, excuse me,, bump, ooh pardon, sorry bump oh sorry, excuse me, bump...

Ah, flaw in the plan there.... oooops. Anyway, I am rambling on as usual so night night and sleep tight and hope tomorrow is a good day for you. I intend to be silly....  Care to join me?

Little My xxx