2011 nearly 2012 or is it Victorian Times?

3 minute read time.

Tonight I am very angry, so angry I dont know where to start.

My husband was supposed to have a cafeter in yesterday, when I left today he still hadnt got one.

He was soaking wet and had been for some time when I got there. He is semi-awake, sometimes he trys to get a bottle but doesnt manage.

Because he is very uncomfortable to be moved around, he is naked lying on his bed with just a sheet over him. He is in and out of sleep,but trys to use a bottle, no curtains around because as I said hes not really with it.. He is in a 6 bedded ward! Where the hell is the Dignity in that? If he knew........

He did manage a couple of sentences today about the Dr telling him about his scan results and that its bad news,that the cancer is in his bones etc. and that if I was in before he went off Duty he would tell me too. I wish I hadnt told his own Dr not to tell him the implications of the raised calcium in his blood, his Dr. and I present would have been so much kinder.

Its a good job that my husbands lovely Dr explained all to me on Thursday before he went in an Ambulance to Hospital. I did not see the Dr at the hospital needless to say.

My husbands Dr had said that it would be safer for my husband to be in Hospital over the week-end as I wouldnt be able to contact anyone as its another Bank Holiday. If he was at home, he would be clean and dry.

I went to the Nurses desk,and said where is  is the Dignity in that, that is not right. Its not fair on him or the other patients. Yes we know, this is the Dr you need to speak to, but she didnt know he needed one! She then told me this is the problem at week-ends there are only 2 Registras on for the whole of the Cancer Wards, they had to deal with the poorly ones first, and then get around to the ones like my husband.

I have even been asked today wether I will be having my husband home or will he be going into a Nursing Home. Hang on a minute, the roller coaster is going far too fast now, I am struggling to catch up. I was still hoping he was going to be able to walk out of there, be alright for a while and.......

I am writing this as its a New Years Eve that I know I will never forget. I am sitting at home with just me and the dogs, hoping so much that there will still be time to make some more happier memories.

This is 2011, very nearly 2012. What on earth happend to the sick and elderly being treated with Respect, Kindness, allowing them the Dignity they deserve. Nurses and Drs do not have the time because they are filling in forms, they are under staffed etc etc. Its wrong its so very wrong.

What ever happened to the basic principles of Nursing.

I am not sure that I should have put this on the general site, perhaps it should be on Carers site, but why are we all allowing this  to happen. One Nurse said today, I would do it myselft if I could, but I cant,we have to wait for a Dr. My husband would have his dignity, he would be clean and dry .

My thoughts and best wishes to eveyone out there with cancer and their carers, on this New Years Eve.

respect     xxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Sarah, thank you so much for your reply.

I am sorry to hear about your dad too. As you say, surely we should all be able to expect basic nursing shouldnt we?

I thought it was Nursing Care..... Care. ? Very little time for caring these days. I will make sure my lovely man gets all the respect and care he deserves and restore his dignity when he comes home.

Its not only a week-end but a Bank Holiday week-end not the best time to be in Hospital!

I hope your Dads strength gets built up with the soups etc. Soup is always on the menu here, and will be made for the day of my husbands return home!

Hugs from me to you and yours

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Respect

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I know this sounds very synical, but it is a great pity that the money spent on the Fireworks in London just now, didnt go on the Health Service, there might be more people out there employed who know how to put catheters in.

Sad but true

Respect

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

MORNING! Hope you slept ok... 4 things for the new day...

1. Glad you nearly ended the evening sane, though I have to say that I think sanity is a tad overrated... come and join the nutty club cos I reckon I can see a lovely nutjob lurking in there! (must be nutty to read my blogs)

And don't worry about being sent to the naughty step cos its a whole lot of fun- we have snuggly blankets and chocklit and hugs and laughs when you need them.... I am always there for something or other cos cancer isn't going to make me start behaving and stop me laughing. (Might stop me putting on my socks this morning but hey, you can't have everything! :D )

2. I'm with you on the fireworks. Bad for the environment too... and hope that they get the catheter put in today.

3. A good monring hug from a nutty lady (((((((((xxx))))))))))))

4. Remember to uncross your legs before you take the dogs out and uncross your eyes before driving eh? (says she speaking from experience)

Little My xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi respect, I do hope that hospital bucks their ideas up.

I'm sending you more welsh cwtches because they are better for you. Everyone knows how thoughtful and kind the Welsh people are!

As for that advice on the naughty step, I'm having it modified so that people with cuddly blankets will slide of with a bump on the floor, spilling their hot chocolate all over themselves!

I already have everything crossed for LM's reversal, so they are being crossed even more now that you and hubby will get better treatment. In fact my eyes are so crossed now I have them in the back of my head!

Love,

Colin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning you two nutters!

Love you lots really!

Yes I agree, everything crossed for LM's reversal!! and Colin did you get your results, sorry I havent kept up with you in the last couple of days. I do hope all went well.

I hope nobody minds if I uncross everything for 1/2 hour or so as I drive to Hospital. I'll be putting the wrong foot on the wrong pedal else. Not good!

Have rung, no catheter in today yet, when I asked why not, I was told abruptly that they do not give out such information over the telephone! Sooooooooooooo, I am taking you two lurvly people with me in my head, war will be declared! I asked if he was still naked, oh no she said he has pants on, and a sheet! Well thats an improvement then, someones used their brains!! I dont know why I didnt do that yesterday, but he was so uncomfortable.

Hubby could do with some snuggly blankets.

I rang one of the District Nurses, who was not happy to say the least, to hear what I was saying, and will tell my husbands Dr etc, and said she will be waiting for my instructions as to what we will want her to do re his coming home.He will supposedly be fast tracked.

A written letter of complaint will be made at an appropriate time. It seems I have decisions to make, ones I havent really given much thought too.

Hope you dont mind coming with me, it will be company for me, and I know you will enjoy the fight.

You will be there with me, as my hubby could possibly be asleep for most of my visit, I will be thinking of you two and smiling. They will definately think I am a mad woman, smiling and talking to myself.  Whats new!

Hugs, and cwtches, bless you what more could a girl(sorry old lady) need.

Have a good, safe, happy New Years Day you two.

I'm off to the Hospital

Respect

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx