2011 nearly 2012 or is it Victorian Times?

3 minute read time.

Tonight I am very angry, so angry I dont know where to start.

My husband was supposed to have a cafeter in yesterday, when I left today he still hadnt got one.

He was soaking wet and had been for some time when I got there. He is semi-awake, sometimes he trys to get a bottle but doesnt manage.

Because he is very uncomfortable to be moved around, he is naked lying on his bed with just a sheet over him. He is in and out of sleep,but trys to use a bottle, no curtains around because as I said hes not really with it.. He is in a 6 bedded ward! Where the hell is the Dignity in that? If he knew........

He did manage a couple of sentences today about the Dr telling him about his scan results and that its bad news,that the cancer is in his bones etc. and that if I was in before he went off Duty he would tell me too. I wish I hadnt told his own Dr not to tell him the implications of the raised calcium in his blood, his Dr. and I present would have been so much kinder.

Its a good job that my husbands lovely Dr explained all to me on Thursday before he went in an Ambulance to Hospital. I did not see the Dr at the hospital needless to say.

My husbands Dr had said that it would be safer for my husband to be in Hospital over the week-end as I wouldnt be able to contact anyone as its another Bank Holiday. If he was at home, he would be clean and dry.

I went to the Nurses desk,and said where is  is the Dignity in that, that is not right. Its not fair on him or the other patients. Yes we know, this is the Dr you need to speak to, but she didnt know he needed one! She then told me this is the problem at week-ends there are only 2 Registras on for the whole of the Cancer Wards, they had to deal with the poorly ones first, and then get around to the ones like my husband.

I have even been asked today wether I will be having my husband home or will he be going into a Nursing Home. Hang on a minute, the roller coaster is going far too fast now, I am struggling to catch up. I was still hoping he was going to be able to walk out of there, be alright for a while and.......

I am writing this as its a New Years Eve that I know I will never forget. I am sitting at home with just me and the dogs, hoping so much that there will still be time to make some more happier memories.

This is 2011, very nearly 2012. What on earth happend to the sick and elderly being treated with Respect, Kindness, allowing them the Dignity they deserve. Nurses and Drs do not have the time because they are filling in forms, they are under staffed etc etc. Its wrong its so very wrong.

What ever happened to the basic principles of Nursing.

I am not sure that I should have put this on the general site, perhaps it should be on Carers site, but why are we all allowing this  to happen. One Nurse said today, I would do it myselft if I could, but I cant,we have to wait for a Dr. My husband would have his dignity, he would be clean and dry .

My thoughts and best wishes to eveyone out there with cancer and their carers, on this New Years Eve.

respect     xxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Respect,

I wish I could come round to the hospital with you and help him  out and come round to your house and give you the biggest biggest hug... but of course I can't...

so just sending you a virtual hug through the ether and wishing you the time to make those happier memories.

Lots of love to you

Little My xxx (((((((((((((((((((((((Respect))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bless you Little My. I have been following your blogs. You make me smile, laugh out loud even!

I think Im in for a lot of Head Tilters don't you!! ?

I have seen those hugs before, now I know how comforting they are.

Take care you

Hugs from me to you,

Love

Respect

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

ooh yes, headtilters... there's fun to be had with them.

Any time you want a hug, you know where I am and any time you want a giggle, you where to find one eh?

Thanks for the hugs back :) and take care...

xxx

• Hi Respect 

how anyone can be left in that state beggers belief  at the very least your lovely man should be clean, dry and covered it is more than shameful he was not.

I know nursing today in some places is all about paper work many nurses "nurse" the paper work  and they are often short staffed not to complete paper work can lead to being disciplined but leaving a patient in that state may only lead to a complaint.

there are many caring nurses who work under difficult circumstances but the problems within the hospital are their problems and they are making them a problem for you and your husband the patient which is totally wrong and unacceptable.

Contact  PALs at the hospital  and complain perhaps by doing so someone will listen and address the problems to prevent this happening again.

thanks be that you have a good GP 

I know my rant does not help but yours and your husbands situation makes me so angry as all the things you expect for him are basic to nursing and nursing care.

sending you hugs

Scraton xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Respect,

What a situation to find yourself in on New Year's Eve! What a lack of joined up thinking in that hospital all for the sake of 5 minutes to put in a catheter. I can only imagine how angry and frustrated you must have felt.

LM's hugs are pretty effective, but much more effective are the real Welsh cwtches I am sending you, (but don't tell LM that).

I do hope that your comments at the hospital get the results your husband deserves.

Colin xxxxxx