Our journey from the start

• Happiness and continuing concern

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The last week or so has been good here. J has been a lot stronger, and we've been doing nice stuff together as a family. Going to see santa, for example, this weekend, was amazing. I was so happy. Simple things that we wouldn't have thought much about before now seem like such a blessing. J is walking the dog every day and making tea, and doing the washing and being a far better house wife than i've ever been. I don't…

• The Lurgy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The thing I've been scared about all through J having his chemotherapy (apart from the obvious chemo not working, dying stuff that we don't mention) has been him getting an infection and needing hospitalising. I don't know why I was so terrified, all sorts of reasons really - the logistics of getting him there, child care etc and also being there, the grimness of it in those wards and the fear of him getting a far worse…

• Thanksgiving

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am extremely thankful this thanksgiving to be slowly getting my husband back. Every day he seems stronger and able to do more as the chemotherapy leaves his body. This weekend we are going to visit my family. It will be the first time in 6 months he has been anywhere away from the local vicinity....sainsburys, his mum's, the hospital, the doctors, and our settee have been the only places he has seen.

I am SO excited…

• This is the way the chemo ends, not with a bang but a whimper...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's day 19/21 in J's last cycle of chemo. It's 2 weeks since his last hospital chemo and a week since he had his second blood transfusion. He's no longer neutropenic but he still isn't as good as I hoped he might be,  the champagne corks have remained unpopped -indeed the champagne is still in the shop! I can't wait for the day when I say "how are you feeling" and he says "good".... or even "fine"…

• In the danger zone

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's day 13 in John's last 21 day cycle of Beacopp. The end is in sight. But he's not there yet. Over the last few days he has been having the usual post chemo symptoms of sickness and tiredness.

He had a blood test yesterday to see if he is going to need another transfusion, and yes, his red blood count is down to 7.4.

The worrying thing is that everything else is down too. His neuts, part of his white…