Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Keep your light burning

candle_candle_light_4013

I recently met a colleague who I hadn’t seen for 30 years. He was more than just a colleague, he was once my ‘Commanding Officer’. He had been made aware of my illness but after asking how I was, he was content with my short explanation “I’m not dead yet“. The great thing about soldiery is that you can pick up where you left off 30 years ago as if it was only yesterday and ‘bravado’ is not only allowed, it’s expected…

• Neuroendocrine Tumours: a spotlight on Pheochromocytomas and Paragangliomas

spotlight-on-pheo

I spend a lot of time talking about the most common forms of Neuroendocrine Tumours (NETs), but what about the less well-known types?  As part of my commitment to all types of NETs, I'd like to shine a light on two less common tumour types known as Pheochromocytomas and Paragangliomas - incidence rate approximately 8 per million per year. They are normally grouped together and the definitions below will confirm…

• Neuroendocrine Tumours – Carcinoid Crisis

NET Patient Foundation wallet card (example guidance)

The word ‘crisis’ has a wide range of meanings and it’s well used in the media to catch the reader’s attention. Lately, the terms ‘political crisis’, financial ‘crisis’ and ‘constitutional crisis’ appear almost daily in media headlines. In a previous life, the term ‘crisis management’ was used daily…

• NET Syndromes – chicken or egg?

We’ve all heard the age-old question about the chicken and the egg?  Scientists claimed to have ‘cracked’ the riddle of whether the chicken or the egg came first. The answer, they say, is the chicken. Researchers found that the formation of egg shells relies on a protein found only in a chicken’s ovaries. Therefore, an egg can exist only if it has been inside a chicken. There you have it!

On…

• Neuroendocrine Tumours – benign vs malignant

One of the most controversial aspects of Neuroendocrine Tumours (NETs) is the ‘benign vs malignant’ question.  It’s been widely debated and it frequently patrols the various patient forums and other social media platforms. It raises emotions and it triggers many responses ….. at least from those willing to engage in the conversation. At best, this issue can cause confusion, particularly to those…