Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Road ahead closed – Bowel Obstructions

bowel-obstruction-npf

OK – we’ve gone through diagnosis, we’ve gone through treatment and now we need to live with the consequences of cancer and it’s treatment.  Not a day goes by when I don’t feel some twinge or some minor pain and I think ‘what was that?‘.  Fortunately, many things can just be day-to-day niggles. It’s the cancer …. easy to say, sometimes not easy to prove.  However, for Neuroendocrine Tumour (NET) patients who have…

• In the news: Neuroendocrine Tumour Drug in Trial – Cabozantinib

What is Cabozantinib?

Cabozantinib is an oral drug which works by blocking the growth of new blood vessels that feed a tumour. In addition to blocking the formation of new blood cells in tumours, Cabozantinib also blocks pathways that may be responsible for allowing cancers cells to become resistant to other “anti-angiogenic” drugs. It is a type of drug called a growth blocker.  Cabozantinib has been studied…

• Progress report on NETSPOT® (Ga68 PET) and PRRT (Lutathera®)

collage-2017-01-18-21_10_49

Here’s some extracts from the CEO of Advanced Accelerator Applications 2016 Progress Report published on 9 Jan 2017.  I’ve added additional comment where necessary to provide a richer picture.  There is some really useful information, particularly for those looking for updates on PRRT (Lutathera®).  I found the content very positive and let me say that the header to the report was entitled “….Asserts Confidence…

• Neuroendocrine Cancer: Nodes, Nodules and NET Nonsense

www-cancer-gov_publishedcontent_images_cancertopics_factsheet_sites-types_metastaticA fairly common disposition of metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumours (NETs) is a primary with associated local/regional secondary’s (e.g. lymph nodes, mesentery and others) with liver metastases.  Technically speaking, the liver is distant. However, many metastatic patients have additional and odd appearances in even more distant places, including (but not limited to) the extremities and the head & neck.  In certain NETs…

• Lanretotide vs Octreotide

somatuline-depot-injection-vs-sandostatin

LONG ACTING LANREOTIDE (LEFT) – LONG ACTING OCTREOTIDE (RIGHT)

Somatostatin Analogues are the ‘workhorse’ treatments for those living with NETs, particularly where syndromes are involved. Although it can sometimes seem like they are only associated with serotonin releasing tumours (i.e. what might be described as Carcinoid), these types of drugs can be used to help with other NET types including Pancreatic…