My mum has extensive sclc

• Tuesday September 21st - Mum admitted to hospital eventually!!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Christine phoned me at 8.50am this morning to say an ambulance would collect mum within the next 4 hours and she would be admitted to the medical assessment ward.  At 12.50pm I received a phonecall from the ambulance service to say they were running a wee bit late but would get to us sometime soon.  At 2.30ish they arrived and mum was taken to hospital.  By 3pm she was in her room and her bloods had been done.

Christine…

• Monday September 20th - I don't know what to do!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mum seems to be deteriorating by the day.  She can't wash or dress herself.  She can't get out of bed or stand up from a chair.  When I ask her to move her leg a certain way like mum move your left foot forward. she thinks she's doing it but nothing happens.  She can shuffle along when I support her but is extremely unsteady and her left leg seems weaker than her right.  She seems vacant like the lights are on…

• Thursday September 16th - The cavalry are coming!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I slept at the bottom of mums bed last night on a chair bed.  I had a good 5 hours sleep before mum asked me to get her up to the commode.  That accomplished I probably had another couple of hours before she said it was time she was up and she needed the loo again.

At 8am I rang the rapid response team and explained what had been happening and at 8.30am Paul the physio and Lynn the OT were with us.  Paul is another shining…

• Wednesday September 15th(Part 2) Another fall not avoided!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well I got up when mum shouted on me at around 6.30am.  When I got into her room her back was on the bed but her bottom and legs were hanging out the side.  She just couldn't get up.  Each time I sat her up she just fell back again.  After a bit I managed to get her up and get her washed and dressed.  I got her safely into her chair and told her not to get out of it until I came back home.  I went off to work but arranged…

• Wednesday September 15th - Another fall narrowly avoided, I think!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Woke up half an hour ago as I heard a noise from mums room.  Shot up out of bed and went into find her perched on the edge of the bed.  I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was going to use the commode so I hoisted her up and helped her round and then back to bed.  I think she was actually still asleep and I noticed as I helped her back into bed that the bed rail had been pulled up onto the bed frame.  Not sure…