Diagnosed with IDC Breast Cancer

• Tamoxifen

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had a follow up appointment with the consultant today. He wasn't surprised with the side effects of chemo catching up on me and also the fatigue from the radiotherapy too, making it worse. My throat is seriously sore and feeling run down but he tells me my immune system is low so I will feel extra rotten. But nonetheless, he congratulated me on completing chemo.

We discussed the next stage which would be a bone…
  • Radiotherapy - Deep Inspiration Breathe Hold (DIBH)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Radiotherapy is a lot harder than I had anticipated. Practising the Deep Inspiration Breathe Hold (DIBH) does not come naturally. 

This Involves holding your breathe for about 20 -30 seconds for each beam you receive. Inflating your lungs, the chest wall expands and pushes the heart away from the area being treated. It is apparently a technique that aims to significantly lower the amount of radiation dose to your…
  • Taking a breather...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have learnt a lot about myself recently. I realised that I thrive on being organised and efficient, I like to plan ahead and tick the box as I go along, always maintaining a degree of control. I like certainty and even when there is uncertainty, I like to know what all my options are. I guess you can think that as being organised or an annoying control freak. Since my diagnosis in April, I was still able to do that…

• Eyelashes and eyebrows...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's funny how you take eyelashes and eyebrows for granted and you do not miss them until they're actually gone. It is only the last week or so that I started losing my lashes and today I noticed that I have literally one or two lashes left. My eye feels bare and the upper lid is sticking to the lower eyelid since there is no hair. It is the most strangest feeling. I am not getting on too well with false eyelashes ..…

• Good days, bad days ...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tomorrow I start the last leg of the treatment plan and commence radiotherapy. After this, I will just need to go for regular checks and pop a pill each day for the next 10 years. Sounds easy.

I've been very open with my two daughters and answer all their questions. I know radiotherapy is non invasive so I show them a clip on YouTube. My little 5 year old says 'ooh mum, are you going to be ok, I'm a little worried…