deejay's blog

• Headlines in Daily Mail today

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Don't know if any of you have read the Daily Mail today - but for any of you who are suffering from rare forms of cancer, there is an article front page about a lady who has a very similar type of cancer to me - and her fight for Sunitinib, which is one of the only drugs that has proved effective in shrinking endocrine tumours.  I'm aware that Macmillan are running a campaign for rarer cancer sufferers to have fairer…

• Warning! Expletive laden rant about doctor

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Because I'm under 2 different teams, endocrinology and oncology, I'm used to conflicting opinions and different methods of doing things.  And it seems to me, that every doctor I've seen says something bloody different to the last one.

But today, I've seen a total arse of a doctor.  I left the oncology dept this morning so wound up I had to have a cinammon whirl at the station, and I've been trying to cut…

• The strain we are all under

FormerMember
    FormerMember

And when I say we - I mean us, on here, cancer patients, carers and families.

I had an appointment yesterday  with the Prof of Endocrinology to find out the results of last week's scan. My last scan was in May 09, after 6 months of chemo, and it showed some shrinkage which was good. But what had happened since then?  I have been getting increasingly nervous as the time drew near, and for me that means chronic insomnia…

• Back to insomnia and anxiety

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Happy new year to everyone - seems a stupid thing to say sometimes faced with things we all have to face, doesn't it?

After 7 months 'off', since being told chemo had shrunk my tumours last May - I now have scan on Weds to check state of play now. Have they grown back quicker? Are there more of them?  The usual worries we all face. Will find out next Monday, when I have appt to 'discuss' results. But already…

• Emotions nearer the surface at Xmas

FormerMember
    FormerMember

What is it about Xmas that makes me a snivelling wreck?  I was driving home today from the shops when I put the radio on and one of the Xmas songs I love came on - the old sort of Phil Spector 'Baby please come home', you know it?

So I started singing along, and felt ok - looking forward to Xmas, have my son and daughter-in-law, my mum, my hubby, dog, and our best friends and their old dad coming - then, suddenly…