Finding comfort in Community: Catching up with our Emotional support forum

4 minute read time.
Finding comfort in Community: Catching up with our Emotional support forum

After receiving a cancer diagnosis, you may experience different emotions. These can be difficult to cope with. The same feelings may also be felt by partners, family members, and friends. Sharing your feelings can help you and others in your situation. In this blog, we will highlight some of the profound discussions that have taken place within our Emotional support forum. Our emotional support forum offers a safe space for connection, empathy, and shared experience.

Embracing each emotion

Many Community members have expressed feeling angry at some point after being diagnosed. Anger can be directed at oneself, a loved one, or even a medical team member. One member reached out for support in our forum. They wrote about their struggle with anger and asked for advice.

A fellow Community member reassured them, writing that “it's okay to feel angry.” They suggested another way to channel their anger.

Another member replied and shared about their evolving emotions. They reminded the forum that feelings can change. We may feel one intense emotion one day, or even a sense of calm, and then feel differently the next. There is no right or wrong way to feel. Everyone is unique and deals with different emotions along the way.

Frozen in fear: Finding solidarity in shared emotions

Fear is a natural response when faced with a cancer diagnosis. One member expressed their experience of being frozen in fear. Their husband had been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, and they did not want to get out and face the real world.

Another member was quick to reply with gratitude. Hearing from people experiencing the same emotion as you can be very comforting. It helps to know that we are not alone when dealing with these emotions. This member went on to write about dealing with anxiety and fear, saying they had “found it so hard to live with the fear.”

Unexpected emotions

Even after completing cancer treatment and being declared “cancer free,” a whirlwind of emotions can ensue. Some members write about experiencing unexpected emotions after completing cancer treatment. Loss, confusion, guilt, and fear are common emotions during life after cancer. After finishing treatment for a rare form of cancer, this member shared experiencing a cloud of emotion.

One of our Community champions replied, reassuring them they were not alone in how they felt.

Supporting one another

Our Emotional Support forum is a beacon of hope and resilience. A place where members are free to express their feelings without judgement. It is a safe space that welcomes anxiety, depression, fear, and all the emotions that can accompany a cancer journey.

You might be dealing with challenging emotions currently. If so, we encourage you to join our Emotional support forum today. Our Online Community is there, ready to lend a listening ear, a comforting word, or a virtual hug to anyone in need.

Additional support and reading

At Macmillan, we are here to offer different types of support. If you need someone to talk to you can:

You can also find cancer support groups in your area.

If you are concerned about your emotional well-being or mental health, help is available from the NHS on 111 for England and Scotland, NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 for Wales and you can find an out-of-hours service on NI Direct if you’re in Northern Ireland.

Further reading:

Anonymous
  • Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with stage 3 follicular lymphoma In December. It was a shock but. I’m lucky as I am on watch and wait however, it really upsets me when asked what type of cancer I have and I mention the low grade NHL, and folks reply “ oh that’s easily treatable “ . as if its nothing and I shouldn’t be worried about it. Yes it is, easily treatable . It does not alter the fact that I have to wait for my results every 3 months , to see wether I need chemo , (as that’s all I can be offered apparently) nor the fact that it can change to another type of cancer. I feel that I can’t be upset about it (or that I shouldn’t be upset about it ) sometimes I just want to cry, and there is no one I can talk to because no one understands how I feel . I don’t cry because it makes me feel weak. I don’t talk about it because I don’t want anyone to think I’m over reacting. 

• I am so sorry to hear. I was told june 9th they found something on my left lung, sense then alot of ct scans,MRI's,pet scans and a failed biopsy as apparently I started struggling and will need to have surgery to get biopsy.  I understand your feelings of alone and lost as I am still feeling those. There are wonderful people here.. join the lung cancer forum their amazing and strong people and the survival rate is amazing.  I pray for you to get answers soon..
  • Hello  ,

Thank you for taking the time to comment here. 

It is good to hear that you are on "watch and wait". Im sorry you have had people respond to you in an insensitive way. It sounds like you have experienced a form of "Toxic positivity". Toxic positivity dismisses valid struggles, emphasizing an always-positive outlook.  While the intention is often to uplift and provide comfort or a silver lining, it can dismiss the valid struggles that come with a cancer diagnosis.

We'll be posting a blog about this soon. I'll share it here when it is published. You can read other members writing about toxic positivity here

Authenticity and vulnerability are cherished within our Community. This is a safe space full of people that understand what you are going through. Here we acknowledge that it’s okay to have difficult days and that showing emotion and seeking support during these times is a sign of strength, not weakness. 

If you ever want to offload to someone who will not judge how you feel or what you have to say, you can contact our Support Line. Our support team are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00.

Best wishes,
    Dylan

• Thanks for replying here,  

I hope you are able to get that biopsy done soon. You are so right, there are many wonderful people in the Lung cancer forum.

• Hi  ,

I hope things are going okay today. I published a blog about positive toxic yesterday. You can read it by clicking here, if you'd like:)